These Mustard & Tarragon Roasted Sweet Potatoes with whole grain mustard and fresh garden tarragon are a must-try side dish.
I don’t make many sweet potatoes during the summer months and I’m not quite sure why because we love them. I guess it’s just a mental thing where I associate sweet potatoes with the cooler Fall months; probably because they’re orange. I know, I’m weird like that. However when I saw a recipe from Hungry Couple for Mustard Roasted Cauliflower I had to make it right away. She covered an entire head of cauliflower with Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs; then baked it. AH-MAZ-ING…please check out the recipe and try it for yourself! Anyway, being that I like to make my side dishes “match”, I made these Mustard & Tarragon Roasted Sweet Potatoes to go with it.
Start off by peeling the skin off of fresh sweet potatoes; then cube them. I prefer to use fresh over canned whenever possible. Not only do they taste better (isn’t everything better fresh?), most canned sweet potatoes are soaked in a syrup to keep them fresh; not exactly what I want to feed my family. Next, combine your favorite mustard (I used whole grain), fresh tarragon, extra virgin olive oil and a little salt (I used sea salt). Pour the mixture over the potatoes, mix until the potatoes are coated; then place on a baking sheet. Roast in a 425 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes until they’re golden brown around the edges.
I like to use tarragon every now and then as it has a distinctive flavor; similar to anise or licorice. It goes well with seafood, fruits, poultry, eggs and most vegetables, as well as sauces, particularly bearnaise sauce (try Grilled Chicken with Bernaise Sauce). Trying different herbs in recipes is a fun way to experiment in the kitchen.
My family really enjoyed these Mustard & Tarragon Roasted Sweet Potatoes, even my youngest who isn’t a huge fan of sweet potatoes. It’s so funny how kids taste buds change because as a toddler, she couldn’t get enough of them! We served these potatoes with cauliflower and grilled chicken. These sweet potatoes would also make a wonderful side dish this coming Thanksgiving…hint…hint. ~Enjoy!
- 2 cups Lg. Sweet Potatoes peeled and cubed (about 4 )
- 1 tbsp . Whole Grain Mustard or mustard of your choice
- 1 tbsp . Fresh Tarragon chopped
- 2 tbsp . Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp . Sea or Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel the skin off of the potatoes; then cube them.
- Next, combine the mustard, tarragon, extra virgin olive oil and salt; then pour the mixture over the potatoes. Mix to coat.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for about 25-30 minutes until they're golden brown around the edges.
For more roasted sweet potato ideas, try these:
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries from Gimme Some Oven
- Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes from Averie Cooks
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Tots from Wishful Chef