Cooking 101: Basic Cooking Terms features some easy to follow kitchen tips and terminology for the beginning home cook.
I'll be starting a new series here on the blog entitled Cooking 101 which will feature some easy to follow kitchen tips and terminology for the beginning home cook.
Now I know many of you will probably know most of these things already; however, if you're like me and have a daughter, son, niece, nephew, grandchild (ok you get the picture) that is living on their own for the first time, I hope you'll pass this information along to them.
You see what you and I take for granted and what comes natural to us after many years of cooking, does not necessarily mean our youth has learned these things no matter what household they came from.
In my case, my oldest rarely wanted to be in the kitchen while I was cooking, yet she must have picked up quite a lot through osmosis or something because so far she's been doing great cooking for herself on her own.
This brings us to today's infographic for Cooking 101: Basic Cooking Terms. My mother sent my daughter and her roommates a box of Omaha steaks recently as a care package. BTW, Mom if you're reading this, I only got cookies when I was in college...I guess I know where I rank! 🙂
Anyway, for four struggling college students living on their own for the first time, they were thrilled, no more like ECSTATIC to eat something other than chicken and salad which has become a staple.
But when it came time to cook the filet mignon, they weren't quite sure which was the best way. They did have the inclination to know that it shouldn't be baked and decided to broil it instead and said it was delicious.
So I thought a little explanation on some basic cooking terms might help them out in the near future so they can expand their repertoire.
Here are some recipe examples for the following cooking methods:
Braise (also for stews)
- Champagne Braised Chicken with Grape Tomatoes & Capers
- Beer Braised Short Ribs
- Dijon Braised Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- Chorizo & Spinach White Bean Stew
- Italian Beef Stew
Fry (deep frying, stir frying)
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Fried Artichoke Hearts with Rosemary- Garlic Aioli
- Tomato Basil Tempura Style Shrimp
- Cashew Chicken with Sesame Garlic Sauce
- Roasted Garlic & Rosemary Twice Baked Potatoes
- Brown Sugar-Honey Baked Ham
- Graham Cracker & Pecan Crusted Baked Chicken
- Baked Zucchini Wedges
- Honey Cinnamon Roasted Cashews
- Butter Roasted Carrots & Parsnips with Oregano
- Apple Cider Brined Roasted Chicken with Pan Gravy
- Buffalo Roasted Potato Wedges