Savory Italian Cornbread made with yellow cornmeal, zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, rosemary and grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
I don't make a lot of homemade bread recipes; however, years ago I found a recipe for cornbread in a magazine and ripped it out so that I can make it one of these days.
It was so old I can't even tell which magazine it was because it was torn off, but when I came across it recently, I decided to give it a try and added some of my favorite ingredients to make this Savory Italian Cornbread.
The thing with a lot of these bread recipes is that there are so many ingredients in them; mainly pantry or staple items that I always have, but the list is a bit longer than what I normally make. This recipe is simple to make and you can change it up a bit to make it to your liking as well.
How do you make Italian Cornbread?
In a large bowl, start by mixing together yellow cornmeal, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine until well blended.
Next, in a separate smaller bowl, combine an egg, milk, sour cream and melted butter; then add this mixture to the dry ingredients.
Now it's time to add in your "mix-ins". I went with some of my favorites including grated zucchini, chopped sun dried tomatoes, fresh chopped rosemary and grated Pecorino Romano cheese; then mix the dough well.
I don't have a cast iron skillet (which would probably work best) so I improvised by spraying a 9" x 5" loaf pan with cooking spray; then poured the batter into the pan.
Bake the bread in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 30 minutes; then remove from the oven when the top of the bread springs back when you touch it. Cooking time will vary if your pan is smaller or larger than the ones I used.
This Savory Italian Cornbread only took about 10 minutes to prepare before popping it into the oven and was so good! Especially if you slice it warm and slather a bit of butter on top...YUM! ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Savory Italian Cornbread
- 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup grated zucchini
- ¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees F; then spray a loaf pan with cooking spray (mine was 9”x5”).
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix until well blended.
- Next, in a separate smaller bowl, combine the egg, milk, sour cream and melted butter; then add this mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add in your "mix-ins": zucchini, chopped sun dried tomatoes, fresh chopped rosemary and grated Pecorino Romano cheese; then mix the dough well.
- Pour in the batter into the pan; then bake 30 minutes. Bread is done when the top springs back when you touch it (time will vary if pan is bigger or smaller)
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Savory Mediterranean Monkey Bread Rolls
Beverley Press says
I regularly make your cornbread and with these added ingredients I bet it’s delicious xoxo