This Italian Ground Turkey & Black Bean Stew is simple to make, yet has a ton of flavor. Cook it on top of the stove in your Dutch oven or in the slow cooker.
I found this simple to make Italian Ground Turkey & Black Bean Stew recipe in the “draft” archives and had completely forgotten to post it. Maybe because I made it over the summer and thought it might do better if I waited until the cooler temperatures drifted in. In any event, this recipe is definitely worth sharing.
This stew contains simple, easy to find ingredients (like the majority of my recipes) and uses ground turkey, black beans, zucchini, onion, garlic, tomato paste and fresh rosemary. I prefer using really lean ground turkey, at least the 90/10 split as sometimes the 70/30 tastes a bit gamey to me. Simply brown the ground turkey in a small amount of olive oil, add the remaining ingredients and allow it to simmer. You can make this stew on top of the stove in a Dutch oven; which takes about 1 1/4 hours or you can add your ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours (high 2-3 hours). It’s even better when it’s reheated the next day so if you want to prepare this the night before, by all means do so.Italian Ground Turkey & Black Bean Stew #slowcooker Click To Tweet
This Italian Ground Turkey & Black Bean Stew is not only easy and loaded with flavor, it also cost less than $10 to feed your entire family. The stew makes 8 cups and is enough to feed a family of four so it’s also a healthy, budget conscience meal your whole family will love. ~Enjoy!
- 1 lb . Lean Ground Turkey 90/10
- 1 tbsp . Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Zucchini washed and diced
- 1 c . Chopped Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 1-12 ounce Tomato Paste
- 2 c . Water
- 2 tbsp . Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 2-15 ounce Cans Black Beans rinsed,
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil and brown the ground turkey until it is cooked through; approximately 5 minutes.
- Next, add the zucchini, onions and garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the tomato paste, water, rosemary and black beans; mix well.
- Lower the heat and simmer for one hour; stirring occasionally.
Brown the ground turkey as instructed above and place in the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours.