Pasta salad with fresh avocado, black beans and tomatoes in a Goat cheese, lime vinaigrette is delicious and super flavorful.
I had picked up some ripe avocados on my last shopping trip thinking I would make some guacamole over the weekend, but never got around to it.
Since I didn't want them to go bad, I decided to make this Pasta Salad with Avocado and Black Beans. Avocado screams cilantro and lime, but I also had some Goat cheese crumbles and it really added a nice flavor to the vinaigrette.
How do you select an avocado?
Color alone may not tell the whole story. The Hass avocado will turn dark green or black as it ripens, but other varieties retain their light-green skin even when ripe.
If you plan to serve the fruit in a few days, stock up on hard, unripened fruit. Avoid fruit with dark blemishes on the skin or over soft fruit.
How do you peel an avocado?
1. Start with a ripe avocado and cut it lengthwise around the seed. Rotate the halves to separate.
2. Remove the seed by sliding the tip of a spoon gently underneath and lifting out. The other common seed-extraction method - striking the seed with a knife and twisting - requires some skill and is not recommended.
3. Peel the fruit by placing the cut side down and removing the skin with a knife or your fingers, starting at the small end. Or simply scoop out the avocado meat with a spoon. Be sure to sprinkle all cut surfaces with lemon or lime juice or white vinegar to prevent discoloration.
How do you make Pasta Salad with Avocado and Black Beans?
For this recipe you'll need pasta, avocado, black beans, tomatoes, scallions and prepared Goat Cheese Lime Vinaigrette dressing.
I chose to use a zucchini and spinach wheel shaped pasta, but Gemelli or Bow Tie pasta would work nicely too. Start by cooking the pasta according to package directions, drain and let cool; then add to a large mixing bowl.
Add the avocado, beans, tomatoes, scallions and prepared vinaigrette. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
How do you make the Goat Cheese Lime Vinaigrette?
For the vinaigrette you'll need rumbled Goat cheese, fresh cilantro, lime juice, white vinegar, Canola oil, garlic powder, Kosher salt and black pepper. Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and creamy.
This pasta avocado salad made eight cups and the vinaigrette made it extra light and flavorful. Perfect for a light lunch, side salad or for Cinco de Mayo festivities. ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
Pasta Salad with Avocado & Black Beans in a Goat Cheese Lime Vinaigrette
For the Pasta Salad
For the Pasta Salad
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and let cool, then add to a large bowl.
- Add the avocado, beans, tomatoes, scallions and prepared vinaigrette. Mix well; then keep refrigerated until ready to serve
For the Goat Cheese Lime Vinaigrette
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until they are well combined.
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA
*Originally shared May 2012/Updated January 2021