This no bake Patriotic Berry Trifle made with butter poundcake, vanilla pudding, whipped topping, fresh strawberries and blueberries is perfect for those Summer holiday gatherings.
Each year I try to make a themed recipe to celebrate all of the United States Patriotic holidays that fall during the Summer months.
This year I wanted to experiment with an easy, no bake dessert like this Patriotic Berry Trifle.
The flavors of vanilla pudding, buttery pound cake, whipped topping and fresh berries is light and delicious. Trifles are a great dessert when feeding a crowd for graduations or cookouts.
What is a trifle?
A trifle is a dessert that is layered usually with cake, fruit, pudding and cream. My kids favorite is this Heath Bar Trifle; which is layered with chocolate cake, chocolate pudding and toffee bits.
It’s delicious, but there is baking involved in this one. The second one I’ve made was this Peaches and Cream Trifle; which is also no bake.
The basic principle is that the trifle is layered with all sorts of tasty flavors that meld together in one delicious bite!
- Trifle Bowl
- Serrated Knife
- Mixing Bowl
- Liquid Measuring Cups
- Pairing Knife
- 1-Butter Pound Cake
- 2-(1-ounce) Packages Vanilla Pudding Mix (I used instant sugar free/fat free)
- 4 cups Milk
- 8 ounces Non Dairy Whipped Topping
- 1 pound Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups Fresh Blueberries
For the Whipped Topping
I chose to use non dairy whipped topping because it holds up better in warmer temperatures. Though I know many people have don’t like using this type of product.
To substitute, you can use homemade whipped cream; though it may break apart and not hold its shape in the trifle.
To make homemade whipped cream, combine 1 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup confectioners sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Whip with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
For the Pound Cake
We loved the richness of the pound cake in this recipe, but you can use prepared yellow cake or angel food cake as a substitution.
How do you make Patriotic Berry Trifle?
Prepare the pudding at least 4 hours before you’re ready to assemble or up to overnight and keep refrigerated until firm.
When you’re ready to make the trifle, cut the pound cake into bite sized pieces and add half to the bottom of the trifle bowl.
Add half of the pudding and spread it evenly on top of the cake. Next, add half of the whipped topping; then spread that evenly over the pudding.
Place half of the sliced strawberries on top of the whipped topping; then half of the blueberries. Finally, repeat the process of cake, pudding, whipped topping and fruit for the top layer of the trifle.
Cover the bowl; then refrigerate until read to serve.
When serving this berry trifle, don’t leave it out for more than 1 hour at room temperature. If serving outside, place the trifle in an ice bath to ensure that the ingredients stay cool in warmer temperatures.
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
More Patriotic Dessert Recipes
- Cake Balls
- American Flag Snack Tray
- Angel Food Cake Dessert
- Red, White and Blue Sorbet
- Chocolate Covered Patriotic Strawberries
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Patriotic Berry Trifle (No Bake)
- Prepare the pudding according to package directions at least 4 hours before you're ready to assemble or up to overnight and keep refrigerated until firm.
- When you're ready to make the trifle, cut the pound cake into bite sized pieces and add half to the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- Add half of the pudding and spread it evenly on top of the cake. Next, add half of the whipped topping; then spread that evenly over the pudding.
- Place half of the sliced strawberries on top of the whipped topping; then half of the blueberries.
- Finally, repeat the process of cake, pudding, whipped topping and fruit for the top layer of the trifle. Cover the bowl; then refrigerate until read to serve.