Energy Bars made with Medjool dates, raw almonds and dried cherries are a healthy, gluten free satisfying snack.
I saw this recipe for 3 Ingredient Energy Bars from Robin at Knead to Cook and I couldn't wait to try them. I've never tried making my own energy bars, nor do I eat them on a regular basis, but they looked so simple to make; especially since they only had three ingredients!
The funny part is that I normally don't buy dates on a regular basis, but at a recent book signing at a natural food store, they were selling them and they just looked so plump, juicy and fresh that I picked up a bag for myself.
I already had almonds and dried cherries in the house and and thought these would make a perfect healthy snack since we were heading to an all day cheering event the next morning.
These energy bars were incredibly easy and just the right amount of tart and sweet. Rachael and I loved them. Gab, not so much.
Then again if it's good for you she generally shy's away from it. I have some dates left so I think I'll make some with dried blueberries and either pistachios or walnuts next time. Thanks Robin!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
- 1 c. Medjool Dates, dried and pitted
- 1 c. Almonds, raw
- 1 c. Dried Cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 5-8 minutes until toasted. (Check on them after 3 minutes as all ovens are different and you don't want them to burn).
- Add the dates and cherries to your food processor and process until it forms into a ball. Remove and set aside.
- Next, add the almonds and process until they are finely chopped, then add the date and cherry mixture. Blend again until all ingredients have been incorporated.
- Line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper or tin foil and place the mixture on top. Flatten the mixture out so that it is even then refrigerate for 45 minutes. Remove and slice into 16 pieces.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
*Originally shared February 2013. Updated May 2018.
Riddhima Nair says
It looks yummy, thanks for sharing.