These Italian Onions simmered in a tomato based sauce with oregano make the perfect hot dog topping. Also great on top of burgers!
Since today is National Hot Dog Day, I wanted to share one of our favorite summertime recipes for Italian Onions. This recipe originated from my Great Uncle Artie Palladino and he graciously shared it with me a few years ago.
- 1 Vidalia Onion
- 1 tbsp . Butter
- 1/2 c . Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3/4 c . Ketchup I used Heinz
- 1 tbsp . Dried Oregano
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Cut the top and bottom off of the onion and peel back the skin. Cut the onion in half lengthwise, then slice into thin strips.
- Add the onions to a medium saucepan along with the butter and simmer over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Once the onions have started to soften, add the chicken broth and reduce heat to low. Simmer approximately 15 minutes until the onions become translucent; stirring every 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer for another 15 minutes. Serve hot. Can be prepared up to three days ahead of time and kept refrigerated.