Black beans and freshly grated zucchini combined with garlic, basil and lemon zest into a tasty fritter make a delicious side dish with any meal.
Guess what? I still have more zucchini to use up! I think this is the never ending supply this summer. Thank goodness I love it, but I wasn’t sure what I was going to try next. While I was in FL last week, I had posted a restaurant review where I had tried Black Bean Cakes.
They were amazing but more on the spicy side served with guacamole, salsa and sour cream. I liked them so much I figured I’d give mine a little Mediterranean twist and throw in some of that zucchini too (Shhh..don’t tell the kids, they’ll never know!) and the Black Bean Zucchini Fritter was born.
These fritters were to die for and I could make an entire meal out of them alone! By using the self rising flour they puffed up like a cake but were light and fluffy, not dense like a regular black bean cake and the lemon and basil gave them such a fresh taste. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Black Bean Zucchini Fritters
- 1- 15 (ounce) Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c. Zucchini, washed, skin on & grated
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
- 2 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 1/2 c. Self Rising Flour
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Canola Oil, for frying
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. Mix well until it looks like a thick, sticky batter.
- Heat approximately 1" of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Gently drop a heaping kitchen tablespoon (soup spoon) of the mixture and flatten.
- Fry 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels or a brown paper bag to remove excess oil.