Utilize leftover corn and mashed potatoes to create a new tasty side dish with these Corn & Cheddar Mashed Potato Fritters.
Sometimes the family just wants what we like to call a “stick to your ribs” meal. No experiments. No crazy vegetables or sides. Just some good old fashioned roasted roast beef or chicken with mashed potatoes and corn. But in my house, I always tend to make too much food because I’m afraid of running out so I always have leftover corn and potatoes. I decided to turn them into these Corn & Cheddar Mashed Potato Fritters to serve with another meal and I had a hit on my hands.
This recipe is so simple to make and you can substitute your favorite cheese, but I chose to use shredded Cheddar. The entire process takes about 15-20 minutes and you have a tasty new side dish to serve with another meal.
Start by taking your day old, leftover mashed potatoes and corn and add them to a bowl. Next, add chopped scallions, cheese, egg, flour, and baking powder. Mix well. Heat oil over medium high heat; then drop in spoonfuls of the potato mixture and brown for 2-3 minutes per side.Turn popular leftovers into these Corn & Cheddar Mashed Potato Fritters. Click To Tweet
Get my weekly newsletter for the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
- 1 c . Day Old Mashed Potatoes
- 1 c . Corn, defrosted frozen corn or precooked corn on the cob
- 1/4 c . Scallions, chopped
- 1/3 c . Low Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 1/2 c . All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp . Baking Powder
- 1/4 c . Canola Oil, for frying
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper, to taste to taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until it is hot.
Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Slowly drop rounded kitchen soup spoons into the oil and flatten the potato mixture slightly.
Cook 2-3 minutes per side, allowing them to turn golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels or brown bags to remove excess oil.
Connect with me on Social Media
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Bloglovin’
Try some of these other fritter recipes:
- Jalepeno Popper Corn Fritters from Closet Cooking
- Loaded Mashed Potato Fritters from Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Avocado and Gouda BLT Corn Fritter Stacks with Chipotle Bourbon Dressing from Half Baked Harvest
- Eggplant Fritters from Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Grilled Corn Fritters from Table for Two Blog
- White Bean & Sun Dried Tomato Fritters from Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen