Tender flank steak stuffed with Kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, basil and feta cheese; then grilled to perfection.
We tend to eat beef more regularly during the summer months when I break out the grill so I like to experiment with new cuts of beef and came up with this Mediterranean Stuffed Flank Steak.
Yes, technically I know I could grill all the time for those die-hard year-round grillers out there, but there is something about trekking outside in the cold and snow that isn’t very appealing; especially with the NJ winters we’ve been having lately.
During one of my recent shopping trips, I purchased a flank steak to stuff myself. I only started stuffing them myself several years ago after buying them already done at the butcher. Once you get the hang of it, it’s really quite simple.
You just have to make sure to roll and tie the meat tightly together. I also found that if you prepare it hours before you actually need it, then refrigerate it after cutting them down into the 6 portions, it does hold up better on the grill (very little oozing out the ends).
When rolling a flank steak, first make sure you pound it flat with a meat tenderizer until the meat is rectangular in shape and even thickness for even cooking times. Next, add your mixture on top of the steak leaving a border around the sides; then tie it up with kitchen string before cutting it into individual portions.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Tender flank steak stuffed with Kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, basil and feta cheese; then grilled to perfection. #steak #grilling #mediterranean” quote=”Tender flank steak stuffed with Kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, basil and feta cheese; then grilled to perfection.”]
This Mediterranean Stuffed Flank Steak was delicious and incorporated many of my favorite flavor combinations including sun dried tomatoes, Kalamata olives and feta cheese. Prepare it a day ahead, grill and enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
- 1 1/2-2 lb . Flank Steak
- 1/2 c . Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/4 c . Fresh Basil, chopped
- 8 Kalamata Olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 c . Feta Cheese, crumbles
- Kitchen String
- Using a meat tenderizer, pound flank steak until it is rectangular in shape and even thickness.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, basil, olives and cheese to a bowl and mix well.
- Evenly spread the mixture on top of the steak, leaving a 1/2" border around all sides. Roll up the flank steak lengthwise and tie with six pieces of kitchen string; spacing them out to where you will slice them.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the rolled steak into six individual pieces. Season with salt and pepper just prior to grilling and grill until desired doneness.