This Chipotle Apple Braised Chicken made with apple cider, apples and chipotle seasoning has the perfect flavor combination of sweet and smokey.
Last month I visited Columbus, Ohio for my oldest daughters cheering competition. We had a little downtime between events, so we ventured over to the North Market; which is an indoor market consisting of over 25 vendors and artisans.
Of course, the first vendor I see when I walk in is North Market Spices and I was in heaven smelling all of the wonderful flavor combinations.
I purchased a few to take home with me, like the Southern BBQ Rub, Sweet Hungarian Paprika, Chai Habanero, and Honey Powder.
But I couldn’t wait to try the Chipotle Apple Pie Spice first. That one just permeated my senses and I knew I wanted to make a braised chicken dish with it the moment I smelled it.
How do you make Chipotle Apple Braised Chicken?
For this recipe you’ll need bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, EVOO, apple cider, apples and Chipotle Apple Pie Spice seasoning.
If you can’t find Chipotle Apple Spice, you can combine equal parts of chipotle seasoning and apple pie spice.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat; then add the chicken. Brown on both sides for approximately 5 minutes per side. You may have to do this in two batches.
Core the apples; then dice into large pieces. Add all of the chicken back to the pot along with the apples, apple cider and seasoning. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
This Chipotle Apple Braised Chicken was incredible! A little on the sweet side, but the aromatic flavor of the chipotle really balanced the flavors nicely. ~Enjoy!
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Try these recipes too!
- Apple Cider Mustard Baked Chicken Thighs
- Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta
- Apple Cider Brined Roasted Chicken
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Chipotle Apple Braised Chicken
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider (or apple juice)
- 2 apples,
- 2 teaspoons Chipotle Apple Spice seasoning
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat; then add the chicken. Brown on both sides for approximately 5 minutes per side. (You may have to do this in two batches.)
- Core the apples; then dice them into large pieces
- Add all of the chicken back to the pot along with the apples, cider and Chipotle Apple Pie Spice.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
Connect with me on Social Media
*Originally shared March 2014/Updated July 2021