This Chipotle Apple Braised Chicken made with apple cider, apples and chipotle seasoning has the perfect flavor combination of sweet and smokey.
If you recall, last month I visited Columbus, Ohio for my oldest daughters cheering competition. We had a little downtime between events, so we ventured over to the North Market; which is an indoor market consisting of over 25 vendors and artisans.
Of course, the first vendor I see when I walk in is North Market Spices and I was in heaven smelling all of the wonderful flavor combinations. I purchased a few to take home with me, like the Southern BBQ Rub, Sweet Hungarian Paprika, Chai Habanero, and Honey Powder.
But I couldn’t wait to try the Chipotle Apple Pie Spice first. That one just permeated my senses and I knew I wanted to make a braised chicken dish with it the moment I smelled it.
I wanted to keep this dish simple and with 4 ingredients, I did just that. If you can’t find Chipotle Apple Pie Spice, you can just use regular chipotle seasoning.
This Chipotle Apple Braised Chicken was incredible! A little on the sweet side, but the aromatic flavor of the chipotle really balanced the flavors nicely. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
- 8 Bone-In, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 c. Apple Cider
- 2 Apples, peeled and cored
- 2 tsp . Chipotle Apple Pie Spice (or chipotle seasoning)
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat; then add the chicken. Brown on both sides for approximately 5 minutes per side. (You may have to do this in two batches.)
- Cut the apples into quarters and then in thirds (You want them to be in large chunks).
- Add all of the chicken back to the pot along with the apples, cider and Chipotle Apple Pie Spice.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.