Enjoy one of your favorite restaurant menu items at home with my version of Panera’s Broccoli & Cheese Soup.
This soup was deliciously creamy and certainly warmed me up on a cold day. I did make a few adjustments to the original recipe by using low fat half and half and reduced fat cheddar cheese instead of the regular versions and frozen broccoli florets instead of fresh to save some time.
The family really loved this soup; though they complained mentioned they would have preferred it better if I served it in a bread bowl. Maybe next time~Enjoy!
Get my weekly newsletter for the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; then whisk in the flour forming a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the half and half until the roux has dissolved; then whisk in the chicken broth. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the liquid is simmering, melt the 1 teaspoon of butter in a small pan; then stir in the onions and carrots. Saute 2-3 minutes until the onions start to soften. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the broccoli, onions and carrots to the liquid mixture, cover the pot with a lid and simmer over low heat for an additional 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Use either an immersion blender or a blender to puree the ingredients until smooth; then return the soup to the pan.
- Stir in the cheese and nutmeg until the cheese has melted.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Bloglovin’
This post includes links to my affiliate account at Amazon.com where Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen earns a few cents on the dollar when readers like yourself purchase the items I recommend. Thank you for supporting Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen when you shop at Amazon!