- 1/4 c . Butter
- 1/4 c . All-Purpose Flour
- 2 c . Low Fat Half & Half
- 2 c . Fat Free Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp . Butter
- 1/4 c . Chopped Red Onion
- 1/2 c . Chopped Carrots
- 12 oz . Frozen Broccoli Florets
- 2 c . Reduced Fat Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 tsp . Ground Nutmeg
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; then whisk in the flour forming a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the half and half until the roux has dissolved; then whisk in the chicken broth. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the liquid is simmering, melt the 1 teaspoon of butter in a small pan; then stir in the onions and carrots. Saute 2-3 minutes until the onions start to soften. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the broccoli, onions and carrots to the liquid mixture, cover the pot with a lid and simmer over low heat for an additional 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Use either an immersion blender or a blender to puree the ingredients until smooth; then return the soup to the pan.
- Stir in the cheese and nutmeg until the cheese has melted.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Bloglovin’
Get my weekly newsletter for the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
This post includes links to my affiliate account at Amazon.com where Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen earns a few cents on the dollar when readers purchase the items I recommend. Thank you for supporting Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen when you shop at Amazon.