Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Soup made with fresh button mushrooms and creamy roasted garlic packs a ton of flavor and warms the soul on a cold day.
I just realized that I hadn't posted a soup recipe here on the blog since I made the Zuppa di Farro back in February. I guess I'm slacking...sorry everyone!
Soup is the perfect cold weather meal whether eaten alone or with a sandwich or salad. It's just so easy to throw everything into a pot and wait for the aroma to fill your kitchen like it did when I made this Creamy Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Soup.
If you've never roasted garlic, you don't know what you're missing. When roasted, garlic turns sweet and the consistency is like butter, you can literally just squeeze it out from the skin.
We generally like roasted garlic in the summer months topped upon a nice juicy grilled steak, but the flavor was even better when added to my favorite soup. I don't know why I don't make it more often because it's simple.
How do you roast garlic?
Step 1. Peel off any excess skin leaving the bulb in tack.
Step 2. Cut off about ¼" off of the top and place on a piece of foil (or garlic baker if you have one of those).
Step 3. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top; then seal the foil and roast in a 425 degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
While the garlic is roasting, you can prepare the other ingredients needed to make this soup including mushrooms, butter, flour, warm milk, vegetable or chicken broth and some parsley.
How do you make Roasted Garlic Mushroom Soup?
Start by sautéing the mushrooms in the butter until they start to soften; then whisk in the flour forming a roux. Add the broth and simmer until the garlic finishes roasted.
Once finished, squeeze the garlic pulp into the soup along with the warm milk; then blend until smooth using an immersion blender. You can also transfer the liquid to a blender if you don't have an immersion blender.
This Creamy Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Soup was delicious and boy was it garlicky; which I don't mind but don't eat this right before a date. We had our soup with a grilled cheese sandwich on a rainy weeknight and it was the perfect comfort meal. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Creamy Roasted Garlic & Mushroom Soup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel off the loose skin from the garlic bulb; then cut about ¼" off of the top. Place the bulb in foil; then drizzle the olive oil on top. Wrap the foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the garlic is roasting, clean the dirt from your mushrooms by gently wiping them down with a damp cloth or paper towel; then slice them into ½" thick slices. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the mushrooms. Cook until they start to soften; then whisk in the flour forming a roux.
- Add the vegetable (or chicken) broth and parsley; mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the garlic is done.
- While the soup is simmering, heat the milk until just below boiling.
- Add the roasted garlic by squeezing it from the skin into the soup mixture; then add the warm milk.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Use either an immersion blender; which can be used right in your pot or a blender to puree the ingredients until smooth; then return the soup to the pan.
For the Milk--> Heavy Cream or Half & Half
For the Broth--> Vegetable or Chicken Broth or Stock
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
- Roasted Garlic Butter from Whipperberry
- Twice Baked Potatoes from Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- Mashed Cauliflower from Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Artichoke & Roasted Garlic Dip from Wonky Wonderful