Cheesy Skillet Shrimp & Tortellini made with jumbo shrimp combined with cheese tortellini in a cheesy tomato basil Alfredo sauce.
I don't eat seafood, not even shrimp. But every once in a while I'll add it into our weekly meal rotation to give my family some variety. Last week, I was under the weather so most of my meals consisted of soup and Pastina
This recipe was a HUGE hit with my family and it was ready in about 20 minutes; which for me was even better. It's perfect for those busy weeknight dinners. ~Enjoy!
For this recipe you're going to need the following ingredients:
Clean the Shrimp
I generally purchase jumbo shrimp that has been frozen and deveined, but you still have to defrost them. Start by adding the frozen shrimp to bowl of cold water and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Drain the water and add more cold water and repeat until the shrimp is mostly defrosted.
Peel the shell and remove any excess waste along the back of the spine with a small paring knife. Finally, once all peeled, run them under cold water to ensure all shells have been removed. Drain on a clean dish towel or paper towels.
Cook the Tortellini
Bring a large pot of water and some dashes of salt to rolling boil; then cook the tortellini until it starts to float to the top; then drain.
Assemble the Shrimp and Tortellini
While the tortellini is cooking, get all of your ingredients together; then start to sauté the shrimp in butter over a large skillet until almost cooked through.
Next, add the basil, tomatoes, garlic and a little horseradish. Cook the shrimp another 1-2 minutes until it is cooked through. The shrimp should be white/pink and not clear.
Finally add a bit of flour; then stir in the heavy cream and grated cheese. Mix well until the sauce is creamy; then add your cooked tortellini and serve.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category!
More Shrimp Recipes
- Dijon Maple Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Tomato Basil Tempura Style Shrimp
- Caprese Shrimp Stuffed Tomatoes
- Cajun Shrimp & Pasta
- Shrimp Bisque
- Shrimp Scampi Foil Packs
Get my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Cheesy Skillet Shrimp & Tortellini
- 1 pound frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp (cleaned and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 roma tomato (diced)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions; drain.
- Add the butter to a large skillet and cook the shrimp until almost cooked through; approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato, basil, garlic and horseradish and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through and is white/pink and not clear.
- Stir in the flour; then add the heavy cream and cheese. Mix well; then add the cooked tortellini and stir until all coated. Sprinkle with extra cheese and chopped basil for garnish.