Shrimp Scampi made with garlic, white wine, butter and lemon juice grilled in foil packs is a tasty way to enjoy a meal outdoors with little cleanup.
As you all know I don’t like or eat seafood; however, my family loves shrimp and our youngest daughter no longer eats beef. So when we’re grilling up some rib eye steaks, I usually make her some Shrimp Scampi.
The funny part is that she was going to make it herself last week and realized my recipe wasn’t on the blog! Maybe it’s because it hardly takes any time to prepare and she eats as soon as I make it. Shrimp is not one of those food items that they like to reheat.
And since most of the items I prepare and share here on the blog are cooked during the day; then reheated later for dinner I never got around to sharing the recipe here.
Since it’s grilling season here in NJ and I’ve had a few requests for recipes that feed only 1-2 people, I decided to make Shrimp Scampi Foil Packs. I prefer using either colossal or jumbo shrimp for entree meals and smaller sizes for appetizers.
What do shrimp sizes mean?
Shrimp come in several different sizes, but it’s pretty easy to figure out which size to buy by the numbers associated with it. Here are the sizes I recommend for entree meals.
- Colossal or Extra Jumbo 16/20: There are approximately 16-20 shrimp per pound and serving size is 3-4 per person
- Jumbo 21/25: There are approximately 21-25 shrimp per pound and serving size is 5-6 per person
- Extra Large 26/30: There are approximately 26-30 shrimp per pound and serving size is 6-7 per person
- Large 31/35: There are approximately 31-35 shrimp per pound and serving size is 8-9 per person
How do you make Shrimp Scampi Foil Packs?
For this recipe you’ll need cleaned and deveined raw shrimp, garlic, red pepper flakes, white wine, butter, lemon juice and parsley.
Start by preheating the grill to 400 degrees F. Using a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, add all ingredients; then wrap the foil pack by rolling down the top and folding over the sides. Make sure you fold it upwards so that you can open and peek inside.
Place the pack on the grill and cook until the shrimp is white in color and no longer opaque. I used Colossal/Jumbo Shrimp and mine took approximately 10 minutes. You’ll also want to use tongs to remove the pack from the grill because they will be hot!
How do you make this recipe on top of the stove?
To make Shrimp Scampi on top of the stove, melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat; then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute; then add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are white in color and no longer opaque. Add the remaining ingredients; toss to coat and serve.
My daughter loved these Shrimp Scampi Foil Packs and I loved the easy cleanup. Besides, it kept the seafood smell out of my kitchen! Since this recipe was meant for two people, our youngest gladly shared the extra shrimp with her sister and Dad.
She ate the side dishes I made to go with our steak; however, most of the time I make this recipe I’ll cook up some linguine and place the scampi on top. ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
Shrimp Scampi Foil Pack (for two)
Grilling or Oven Method
- Preheat the grill or oven to 400 degrees F. Using a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, add all ingredients; then wrap the foil pack by rolling down the top and folding over the sides. (Fold it upwards so that you can open and peek inside.)
- Place the pack on the grill or in the oven and cook until the shrimp is white in color and no longer opaque. (Mine took approximately 10 minutes. You'll also want to use tongs to remove the pack because they will be hot!)
On the Stove
- Melt the butter in large skillet over medium high heat; then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute; then add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are white in color and no longer opaque. Add the remaining ingredients; toss to coat and serve.
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA
FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’
Tried a recipe? Leave a comment or tag #CarriesExpKtchn on Instagram or Twitter!