Making your own flavored salt is quick and easy. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 4 months. Use to season meat, poultry, fish, vegetables or pasta. It’s also great for holiday gift giving!
Making your own seasoned salt like this DIY Oregano-Lemon Salt is quick, easy and adds wonderful flavors to your recipes. I was flipping through a magazine recently and came across a recipe for DIY Basil Salt.
It was pretty self explanatory; though I never thought of making it myself. I had just clipped the last of my fresh oregano from my little herb garden and knew that adding some fresh lemon zest to the mix would taste great on a roasted chicken. AND…I was right!
This recipe only takes about 5 minutes to make; however, you need to let it air dry for about 24 hours before storing it in an airtight container. Once stored, you can save it up to 4 months in a cool, dry place.
Use this Oregano-Lemon Salt on meat, poultry, fish, pasta or vegetables. Anywhere you want those fresh Mediterranean flavors to shine through.
What are some other salt variations?
- Basil Salt (meat, poultry, fish, pasta or vegetables)
- Mint Salt (fish or pasta)
- Cilantro-Lime Salt (poultry, fish, pasta or vegetables)
- Rosemary Salt (meat, poultry, fish, pasta or vegetables)
- Orange/Lemon/Lime/Grapefruit Salt (poultry, fish, pasta or vegetables)
- Herbs de Provence Salt (poultry, fish, pasta, vegetables)
You get the idea, the combinations are endless! Like I said, I sprinkled a little of this DIY Oregano-Lemon Salt on top of my roaster chicken one Sunday afternoon; then sprayed a little olive oil on top until it was roasted to perfection. ~Enjoy
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
- 1 cup Kosher Salt
- 1/4 c. Fresh Oregano, stems removed
- 1 Lemon, zest only
- Add the salt, oregano and lemon zest to a mini food processor or blender and pulse until the oregano is finely chopped.
- Remove the mixture and place on top of parchment paper. Flatten the salt and allow to air dry for 24 hours before putting it in an airtight container.