This spaghetti squash casserole is made with fresh Mexican pico de gallo boneless chicken and black beans in a creamy cheese sauce.
This tantalizing casserole is packed with all the flavors of the traditional pico de gallo with the added crunch of spaghetti squash. It is a perfect balance of wholesome ingredients and Mexican-inspired flavors that will satisfy all your taste buds.
So, if you're looking to mix up your dinner routine, this pico de gallo spaghetti squash casserole is just the thing!
This Pico de Gallo Spaghetti Squash Casserole serves six people and can be ready in about thirty minutes for a delicious, quick weeknight meal.
What is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de gallo is a type of Mexican salsa made with tomatoes, onion, jalepeno or serrano peppers, lime juice and cilantro.
To make this pico de gallo squash casserole, you're going to need the following ingredients:
Spaghetti Squash: You'll want to purchase a small to medium size squash that is around 2-pounds.
Pico de Gallo: You can make your own by following this easy recipe or purchase at your local market. Most local grocery stores now carry it pre-made in the refrigerated produce section. In a pinch, you can also used jarred salsa.
Pre-Cooked Boneless Chicken: You can use any leftover, cooked diced chicken, Rotisserie chicken or omit the chicken altogether in this recipe. We personally like the added protein for a complete meal.
Black Beans: I use canned black beans that have been rinsed under cold water until clear and drained.
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese: Substitutions can also be Cheddar, Cheddar Jack, Colby or Cotija.
Cooking the Spaghetti Squash
There are two methods to cook spaghetti squash: in the oven or in the microwave. For this recipe, I chose to cook the squash in the microwave to save time.
Start by cutting the squash in half vertically; then scrape out the seeds. Place the squash on a microwave safe dish, add 2 tablespoons of water; then cook on high for 10-15 minutes.
Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the squash. A 2-pound squash should take about 10 minutes. You want to make sure the outer skin is soft when pressed down so that you can easily scrape out the flesh.
Combining the ingredients
Once the spaghetti squash is cooked, scrape out the strands using a fork into a mixing bowl. Add the cooked chicken, pico de gallo, black beans, soup, chili powder, salt and half of the shredded cheese.
Mix well; then transfer into a 9x13 casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Baking the Casserole
Place the casserole dish in a preheated 350 degree F oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is hot and bubbly.
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- Italian Sausage Bolognese Spaghetti Squash
- BBQ Pork Spaghetti Squash
- Cajun Sausage Alfredo Spaghetti Squash
- Italian Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Lemon Chicken Broccoli Spaghetti Squash
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Pico de Gallo Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1- (2-pound) spaghetti squash
- 12 ounces pico de gallo
- 3 cups cooked, diced boneless chicken breasts
- 1- (15-ounce)can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1- (10-ounce)can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoons chili powder (more if you like extra heat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the squash in half vertically; then scrape out the seeds. Place the squash on a microwave safe dish, add 2 tablespoons of water; then cook on high for 10-15 minutes until the outer skin is pliable and the flesh can be scrapped out easily.
- Scrape out the strands using a fork into a mixing bowl. Add the cooked chicken, pico de gallo, black beans, soup, chili powder, salt and half of the shredded cheese. Mix well; then transfer into a 9x13 casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is hot and bubbly.