Chicken sausage combined with fire roasted diced tomatoes, white beans and Italian seasonings makes a deliciously healthy and hearty stew.
I first made this recipe for Italian Chicken Sausage and White Bean Stew back in 2012, but it's been on my list for an upgrade for years.
When I first prepared the recipe it looked more like a chili as I removed the sausage casings and broke up the meat. Though the taste was good, the photo, not so much.
With my husband and I trying to lose weight on the Noom diet for the last few months, I wanted to try to remake this recipe a little healthier too!
By baking and slicing the sausage prior to adding it to the stew, it really held up well and the flavor was incredible!
This recipe serves 4 people, is gluten free and is under 325 calories per serving.
For this recipe you'll need the following ingredients:
Chicken Sausage: To make this recipe a little healthier, I opted for chicken sausage since pork sausage has double the amount of calories and grams of fat per link. You'll need approximately 1-pound or 5 links for this recipe.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes: I love Hunts Fire Roasted Tomatoes and you can even get them with added garlic. It's one of those items I always keep stocked in my pantry. They taste great in so many recipes!
Dried Italian Seasoning: If you don't have this combination seasoning, no problem! Just combine equal parts of dried basil, oregano and parsley for a quick fix.
Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
Cannellini Beans: Personally, I used organic, lower sodium canned beans for the simplicity and ease of adding them to my recipes. Before I add them to any recipe though, I rinse them thoroughly under cold water until it runs clear.
Chicken Broth: Low sodium or bone broth is my choice, but you can use any kind you prefer.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray, add the sausage links; then bake for 20 minutes.
Remove the sausage from the oven; then slice into ½-inch thick discs.
While the sausage is baking, add the oil to a large Dutch oven or pot and heat over medium high heat.
Add the garlic and saute 1 minute; then add the fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, cheese and chicken broth.
Reduce the heat to low; then add the sliced sausage when done along with the beans. Mix well; then allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
Slow Cooker Directions
You can also cook this chicken sausage stew in the slow cooker. Prepare the sausage as directed; then add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-4 hours or warm for 6-8 hours.
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
More Sausage Recipes
- Sheet Pan Italian Style Chicken Sausage & Vegetables
- Skillet Balsamic Sausage Pasta
- Italian Sausage & Peppers
- Roasted Italian Sausage & Potato Bake
- Chicken, Sausage, Artichokes and Potatoes
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Italian Chicken Sausage and White Bean Stew
- 1 pound chicken sausage (5 links)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1- (14-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1- (14-ounce) can cannellini beans (rinsed)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray, add the sausage links; then bake for 20 minutes. Remove the sausage from the oven; then slice into ½-inch thick discs.
- While the sausage is baking, add the oil to a large Dutch oven or pot and heat over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute; then add the fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, cheese and chicken broth.
- Reduce the heat to low; then add the sliced sausage when done along with the beans. Mix well; then allow to simmer for 30 minutes.