Recreate this retro meal with chicken thighs in fat free cream of mushroom soup, white wine, fresh mushrooms, scallions and Greek yogurt.
Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks is hosting a Retro Food Event so I whipped out the 1968 version of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.
Here is where I found some great retro food recipes and decided to experiment with my own version of the classic dish, Chicken Parisienne.
What is Chicken Parisienne?
Chicken Parisienne was popular back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. It was a really simple dish to make and was one of the more popular "canned soup" recipes of that time.
I recall eating something like this as a child; however, I don't remember if this was the exact same way my Mom used to make it. In any case, this recipe was delicious!
The original recipe calls for chicken, cream of mushroom soup, white wine and sour cream, but I changed it up just a bit.
My version of Chicken Parisienne uses:
- skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- fat free cream of mushroom soup
- white wine
- fresh mushrooms
- Greek yogurt
How do you make Chicken Parisienne?
Prep time on this dish is next to nothing too. Simply place your chicken in a casserole dish, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, mix well and pour over the chicken; then bake until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is bubbling; approximately 1 hour.
Though I didn't cook this in my slow cooker, I bet you could add all of the ingredients to the cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours, but I would leave out the yogurt and add at the end before serving.
My family really liked this recipe for Chicken Parisienne and it makes enough sauce to pour over some rice or egg noodles as well. This recipe makes enough to serve 6-8 people; however, it freezes beautifully so go ahead and save some for another meal. ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
More Retro Dinner Recipes
- Chicken a la King from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Chicken Rice Casserole from Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Baked Pork Chops from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Ravioli di Magro from Manu's Menu
- Tuna Noodle Casserole from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken in an oven safe casserole dish.
- Combine the wine, soup, mushrooms, scallions and yogurt in a bowl, mix well and pour evenly over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the top with paprika, place in the oven uncovered and bake for 1 hour until chicken is cooked through and sauce is bubbling.