Red bliss mashed potatoes combined with creamy Havarti cheese, butter, sour cream and scallions is a delicious side dish with any meal.
If given the choice, my personal preference would be potatoes over rice when it comes to sides; especially these creamy Havarti Red Bliss Mashed Potatoes. Don’t get me wrong, I do LOVE a good risotto, but mashed potatoes are my favorite.
I first made this recipe over 10 years ago and haven’t made it since. Not for any other reason than I’m always trying to come up with new kitchen experiments and rarely revisit some of these old treasures.
When I found this mashed potato recipe as I was culling through some old posts, I couldn’t wait to make them again. I did have an ulterior motive as the original photo wasn’t particularly appetizing.
That’s the hard part about sharing recipes. It could be the best darn tasting recipe, but if the picture doesn’t due it justice, no one will try it!
This month marks our 10th blog anniversary so I decided to revisit some ‘oldie but goodies’ in the next few weeks. If you’ve been with us since the beginning, they’ll just be a reminder to try the recipe again.
And if you’re a newbie, you’ll definitely want to give these old recipes a try. I guarantee you’ll love them as much as we do!
How do you make Havarti Red Bliss Mashed Potatoes?
For this recipe you’ll need red bliss potatoes, Havarti cheese, butter, sour cream and scallions. Start by washing the skins with a vegetable brush under cold water; then cut them into 2-inch pieces and place in a medium pot. You’re going to want to leave the skins on to give this dish a little added color.
Add cold water to the pot so they cover the potatoes; then bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. You can check to see if they’re done by inserting the tip of a sharp knife into the potato. It’s done when the knife slides in and out easily.
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Havarti Red Bliss Mashed Potatoes
- 8 medium red bliss potatoes
- 2 ounces Havarti cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Start by washing the skins with a vegetable brush under cold water; then cut them into 2-inch pieces and place in a medium pot.
- Add cold water to the pot so they cover the potatoes; then bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. (You can check to see if they're done by inserting the tip of a sharp knife into the potato. It's done when the knife slides in and out easily).
- Once the potatoes are done, drain the potatoes in a colander and place back in the pot. Add the remaining ingredients and whip them with a handheld electric mixture until smooth and creamy.