Pizza dough topped with Portuguese chourico, potatoes, tomatoes, chives, eggs and Cheddar cheese makes a tasty breakfast.
Mother’s Day is coming up and though we normally celebrate by grilling a nice, juicy steak; I thought this year we’d switch it up a bit and make breakfast. I combined all of our favorite breakfast foods into this Portuguese Breakfast Pizza and it was AMAZING!
I never used to be a fan of breakfast, but the older I get the more it’s growing on me. I have to eat some sort of eggs every morning in order to feel sustained. Plus they give me more energy throughout the day and I’m less hungry!
We generally purchase our chourico from Fall River, MA and I had one link to use up before placing another order so this pizza seemed like a tasty way to make a new breakfast recipe.
What do you need to make Portuguese Breakfast Pizza?
For this recipe you’ll need pizza dough, EVOO, Portuguese chourico, tomatoes, frozen diced potatoes, chives, eggs, heavy cream and shredded Cheddar cheese.
I use defrosted frozen pizza dough for all of my pizza recipes because it’s simply easier and less time is needed to make a recipe. However, here is a good recipe for homemade dough if you want to make it yourself.
Whichever type dough you use, allow the dough to get to room temperature before making the recipe so it’s easier to stretch out. I don’t recommend the dough that comes refrigerated in a tube because to me it tastes more like bread than pizza dough.
You can also go to your local pizzeria and ask them if you can buy dough from them; many will oblige. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. This is important as you want the oven to be super hot before you put the pan in the oven so that it cooks quickly. If you have a convection setting on your oven, I recommend using this setting too as it cooks more evenly all around.
Heat some oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; then add the chourico, chives, tomatoes, potatoes. Cook 2-3 minutes until the chourico is lightly browned; then remove from heat and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the eggs and heavy cream; then season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
How do you assemble the pizza?
Generously grease a 13×9-inch sheet pan with olive oil. You’ll want to make sure there is a thin coating of oil on the pan so that the pizza will get crispy on the bottom and won’t stick when you remove it.
Add the dough and stretch to the edges. I find it best to use clean hands with a little oil on them for best results, but you can also use this roller.
Next, add the egg mixture and half of the cheese; then top with the chourico mixture and the remaining cheese. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and cook 18-20 minutes until the ends are crispy and light brown.
Take the pan out of the oven and using a spatula, transfer the pizza to a cutting board.
How many servings?
Depending on how you will be serving this breakfast pizza will determine how many slices to cut. If you are serving this pizza as the only breakfast item, you can cut it with a pizza cutter into 8 squares.
When feeding as part of a brunch item along with other food, I recommend cutting it into 16 squares for smaller portions.
Can you freeze the pizza?
Absolutely. I freeze all of my pizza recipes into individual portions so that we can pull them out one slice at a time to reheat for quick lunches or afternoon snacks. You can also leave in the refrigerator if you’re going to eat within 3 days.
Once the pizza has cooled, wrap each piece individually with plastic wrap; then place in a resealable plastic bag. Pizza can be frozen for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to reheat, remove the plastic wrap, place on a baking sheet and cook in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 10-12 minutes for best results. I like my pizza super hot; like ‘burn the roof of your mouth hot’ so adjust cooking times to your liking.
My family couldn’t get enough of this Portuguese Breakfast Pizza recipe. In fact, it made it to the freezer, but then pulled out again and finished 2 days later. It was super flavorful with the smoky flavors of the chourico combined with the potatoes and eggs.
This recipe would be a tasty addition to your brunch table, but you can also eat it for lunch or dinner. ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Portuguese Breakfast Pizza
For the Pizza
For the Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs and heavy cream; then season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Generously grease a 13x9-inch sheet pan with olive oil. (You'll want to make sure there is a thin coating of oil on the pan so that the pizza will get crispy on the bottom and won't stick when you remove it).
- Add the dough and stretch to the edges. (I find it best to use clean hands with a little oil on them for best results, but you can also use this roller.)
- Next, add the egg mixture and half of the cheese; then top with the chourico mixture and the remaining cheese.
For the Topping
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; then add the chourico, chives, tomatoes, potatoes. Cook 2-3 minutes until the chourico is lightly browned; then remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and cook 18-20 minutes until the ends are crispy and light brown. Take the pan out of the oven and using a spatula, transfer the pizza to a cutting board. Cut into 8-16 slices depending on whether you're serving alone or with other breakfast items.