This casserole made with sweet Italian sausage, roasted eggplant, breadcrumbs, Asiago and Pecorino Romano cheeses is simple and delicious.
About a week or so ago I purchased an eggplant with every intention of making some sort of stuffing to fill it. So as I was looking at it in my refrigerator, I figured I’d better do something with it before I had to throw it away.
As I thought about it some more, I realized a few things. One, I didn’t think that my kids would eat or like cutting into the skin and would probably only eat the inside stuffing.
And two, I only had one eggplant and it wouldn’t be enough to feed the four of us. It seems like the only way they’ll eat the eggplant skin is if it’s sliced very thin and fried, like when I make Eggplant Parmesan. On to Plan B.
I decided to make this Italian Sausage and Roasted Eggplant Casserole instead and man was it delicious!
How do you make Italian Sausage and Roasted Eggplant Casserole?
For this recipe you’ll need eggplant, garlic, leeks, mushrooms, EVOO, sweet Italian sausage, white wine, fresh rosemary, grated Asiago and Pecorino Romano cheeses and Italian flavored breadcrumbs.
Add the wine, rosemary and roasted vegetables and mix well. Next, add both cheeses and the bread crumbs. Mix well and place mixture into a 2-quart oven safe baking dish.
Sprinkle extra breadcrumbs and some more of the Asiago cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the breadcrumbs have turned a golden brown.
I have to say that the entire meal took less than 1/2 hour to make and this casserole was so filling and flavorful. Last night, our oldest daughter had a football game and didn’t get home until after 9:30pm.
She didn’t want to eat that late so she just had a small taste. She loved it so much she wanted me to give it to her for lunch today heated up in thermos so I guess this one is a keeper. ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
CONNECT WITH ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
- 1 eggplant ,skin washed and cut into bite size chunks
- 5 cloves garlic ,minced
- 1 leek (white part only), chopped
- 10 white button mushrooms ,sliced
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 links sweet Italian sausage ,casings removed (or 1 pound ground Italian sausage)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (can substitute chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the wine, rosemary and roasted vegetables and mix well. Next, add both cheeses and the bread crumbs. Mix well and place mixture into a 2-quart oven safe baking dish.
- Sprinkle extra breadcrumbs and some more of the Asiago cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the breadcrumbs have turned a golden brown.
*Originally shared October 2011/Updated March 2021