This Mediterranean inspired salad made with garbanzo and green beans, sun dried tomatoes and oregano in a lemony vinaigrette is deliciously light and flavorful.
Generally speaking, I don’t eat a big lunch as I tend to eat my main meal in the afternoon. It’s a habit I’ve picked up over the years due to the girls sports schedules. Instead, I make salads like this Mediterranean Inspired Garbanzo and Green Bean Salad.
It’s perfect for those occasions when I do feel like eating a little something that’s not too heavy, but is loaded with flavor. On certain days, I “bulk cook” and try to make a few different recipes to blog about in one day. It also helps that the kids can’t wait to come home to see what new recipes are in the refrigerator for them to try.
Garbanzo beans or otherwise known as chick peas, were not a common staple in my house growing up. However, over the last ten years I’ve been incorporating them more and more into my diet.
Are garbanzo beans healthy?
According to Canadian Living, garbanzo beans, a.k.a. chick peas:
- Controls Hunger: Chickpeas are high in fiber and protein, and have a low glycemic index; which can also help control your weight. Eating a 1/2 cup of chickpeas per day can keep you feeling full and help you to consume fewer calories.
- Reduces Cholesterol: Eating 3/4 cup of chickpeas in your diet each day can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Versatile: Chickpeas can be used in salads, soups, curries, chilis and stews. Or consider roasting them with your favorite savory spices. (See more recipe ideas below).
How do I make Mediterranean Garbanzo and Green Bean Salad?
For this recipe you’ll need garbanzo beans, fresh green beans, sun dried tomatoes, EVOO, lemon, oregano, salt and pepper. First, steam fresh green beans over a double boiler until they are bright green and al dente. Cool; then cut in half.
While the green beans are steaming, drain and rinse the garbanzo beans and add them to a bowl. Next, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
This Mediterranean Garbanzo and Green Bean Salad makes 4 cups, is so light and flavorful. Not to mention it’s loaded with protein and fiber to sustain hunger longer. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Mediterranean Garbanzo and Green Bean Salad
- Steam the green beans over a double boiler until they are bright green and al dente. Cool; then cut in half.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
This post includes links to my affiliate account at Amazon.com where Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen earns a few cents on the dollar when readers like yourself purchase the items I recommend.
*Originally shared March 2013/Updated July 2019