Mediterranean Chick Pea Salad made with capers, Kalamata olives, cucumbers, tomatoes and fresh basil in a balsamic vinaigrette.
I love using fresh vegetables and herbs in my recipes; especially when tossed together like this Mediterranean Chick Pea Salad.
This recipe was first posted back in 2012 after having this salad at a Japanese restaurant. It had mayonnaise in it and though it was good, I was looking for something a little lighter in flavor.
Chick peas, also known as garbanzo beans, are packed with fiber. Fiber is good because it fills you up which causes you to get fuller quicker. So not only would this make a nice addition to other offerings on a buffet table, you can also eat this alone for a meal.
How do you make Mediterranean Chick Pea Salad?
Gather all of the ingredients including chick peas, capers, Kalamata olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar and EVOO. I love adding capers to recipes like this Chicken Piccata because it adds a tangy, lemony flavor.
Mediterranean Chick Pea Salad
- 1-15 oz . can chick peas rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp . capers
- 1 tbsp . red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 c . tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 c . Kalamata olives chopped (about 10)
- 1/2 c . cucumber skin on and small dice
- 2 tsp . fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp . balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp . extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
This post includes links to my affiliate account at Amazon.com where Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen earns a few cents on the dollar when readers like yourself purchase the items I recommend.
*Originally shared August 2012/Updated July 2019