Portuguese Baked Beans made with Navy beans, Portuguese chourico, peppers, and garlic in a tomato-based sauce.
For as long as I've been married, every family picnic with my in-laws has always included my mother in laws' Portuguese Baked Beans.
Everyone loves them! I realized I had never made them myself so I finally got her recipe. I was excited to learn that she just doctored up canned beans to make this recipe.
At first, I thought about doing the same thing, but then when I looked at the ingredients I knew I could make it from scratch on my own.
These Portuguese Baked Beans were delicious and so easy to make!
For this recipe you'll need
- Navy Beans
- Portuguese Chourico
- Green Peppers
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Tomato Paste
- White Vinegar
- Light Brown Sugar
- Kosher Salt
I used canned navy beans; then just rinsed them under cold water until they ran clear. However, you can use dry beans, but you'll have to soak them first.
How do you make Portuguese Baked Beans?
In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil; then add in the peppers, onions, and chourico. Cook over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften and the chourico starts to brown.
Next, add the garlic and saute for another minute; then add the tomato paste, some water, vinegar, paprika, sugar, and salt. Mix well; then add the beans.
Bring the mixture to a boil on top of the stove; then turn off the heat. Transfer beans to an oven-safe baking dish and cook for 1 hour at 350 degrees F; stirring every 20 minutes.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Linda's Portuguese Baked Beans
- ½ green pepper small dice
- ½ cup small diced onion small dice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound portuguese chourico (hot or mild) skin removed, small dice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1- (12-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4- (16-ounce) cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil then add in the peppers, onions, and chorizo. Saute over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften and the chorizo starts to brown.
- Next, add the garlic and saute for another minute; then add the tomato paste, water, vinegar, paprika, sugar, and salt. Mix well then add the beans.
- Bring mixture to a boil on top of the stove then turn off the heat. Transfer beans to an oven-safe baking dish cookfor 1 hour; stirring every 20 minutes.