Pumpkin and Sage Risotto made with Arborio rice, vegetable broth, pumpkin puree and fresh sage makes a delicious Fall side dish.
I've been going through a lot of old recipes lately. Honestly after 10 years of blogging, there are so many good recipes that I haven't made in a while and this Pumpkin and Sage Risotto was one of them.
Since it's officially Fall and pumpkin-everything season, why not bring back one of my favorite side dishes. Risotto. I just LOVE It! Maybe because it's so rich and creamy, but it's easy to make and takes on whatever flavors you are looking for.
What is Risotto?
Risotto is an Italian dish made with short grain rice called Arborio. It can absorb a lot of liquid without becoming too mushy, like regular rice can.
For this recipe you'll need the following ingredients:
- Arborio rice
- vegetable broth
- pumpkin puree
- fresh sage
- kosher salt
- black pepper
I opted to use a vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian dish; however, you can also use chicken broth.
How do you make pumpkin and sage risotto?
Start by melting some butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; then add the rice. Stir 1-2 minutes; then add 1 cup of the broth at a time, allowing the liquid to evaporate after each addition.
When the last cup of liquid has almost evaporated, add the pumpkin, sage and the last of the butter. Mix until butter has melted and is creamy; then serve hot.
How do you serve risotto?
You can serve risotto as a side dish or a main entree when a protein is added. Here are some examples:
- Italian Sausage, Artichoke and Sun Dried Tomato Risotto
- Balsamic Risotto with Grilled Chicken and Vegetables
- Chourico and Pea Risotto
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Pumpkin and Sage Risotto
- 2 tablespoons butter; divided
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Start by melting 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; then add the rice. Stir 1-2 minutes; then add 1 cup of the broth at a time, allowing the liquid to evaporate after each addition.
- When the last cup of liquid has almost evaporated, add the pumpkin, sage and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Mix until butter has melted and is creamy; then serve hot.
*Originally shared November 2012/Updated September 2021
Anita at Hungry Couple says
Yum. I love pumpkin risotto. Sometimes I add sage but it's a strong flavor so I frequently just use chives. Either way it's delicious!
Carrie's Experimental Kitchen says
Hi Carrie, saw you along with me and many on the Kitchen Daily Curator network, thought I will drop in to say hi 🙂 Archana