Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes made with fresh limes are a creamy, tangy side dish are delicious and simple to make.
When I made the recipe for Grilled Chicken in a Lime Frost Sea Salt Brine back in 2012, I also made these incredibly light Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes as well. Since I first posted this recipe, it’s also been a reader favorite so I decided to make them again recently to give them a photo makeover.
I then realized that I forgot to add two ingredients to the recipe or maybe they were there originally, but when I switched from Blogger to WordPress, some of my recipes didn’t come over exactly and with over 1000 to comb through, I think I just missed the error.
For this recipe, you’ll need fresh sweet potatoes (or yams), lime zest and juice, milk, butter, Kosher salt and shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese. I originally also used the Lime Frost Sea Salt, but regular salt works just as well as most of the lime flavor comes from the lime itself.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes made with fresh limes are a creamy, tangy side dish are delicious and simple to make. #potatoes #sweetpotatoes #sidedish” quote=”Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes made with fresh limes are a creamy, tangy side dish are delicious and simple to make. “]
Start by placing the potatoes on a microwave safe dish lined with paper towels; then pierce the skins with a fork and cook on high for 7 minutes. Turn the potatoes over and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on how large your potatoes are. You want them to be tender when you insert the tip of a sharp knife. You can also bake the potatoes in the oven, but that would take over an hour and I don’t have that kind of time during the week.
Carefully remove the potatoes from the microwave, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides into a medium sized bowl. They will be hot so I recommend holding them with a clean dish towel or paper towels. Save the skins and line them up on a baking sheet.
Next, add the lime zest and juice, milk, butter and salt and mash until smooth. You can use a potato hand masher or an electric mixer; which I prefer to get the potatoes extra creamy. Fill the potato skins with the potato mixture and sprinkle the top with the cheese. Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
My family and I really liked these Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes and was glad I made them again after so many years. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes, skins washed
- 1 Lime, zest and juice zest and juice
- 1/4 c. Milk
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 c. Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place potatoes on a microwave safe dish lined with paper towels and pierce the skins with a fork. Microwave the potatoes on high for 7 minutes, then turn them over for an additional 5-8 minutes until the potato is soft when pierced with a sharp knife. (Cooking time will depend on the size of the potato).
- Carefully cut the potato in half, lengthwise, scoop out the insides and add to a bowl. Place the potato skins on a baking sheet or oven safe dish.
- Next, add the lime zest and juice, milk, butter and salt; then mash until smooth. (You can use a hand masher or an electric one, which I prefer to get them extra creamy.)
- Fill the potato skins with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle 1 tbsp. of the cheese on top; then bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
*Originally shared March 2012/Updated August 2018