Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes made with fresh limes are a creamy, tangy side dish are delicious and simple to make.
When I made the recipe for Grilled Chicken in a Lime Frost Sea Salt Brine back in 2012, I also made these incredibly light Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes as well. Since I first posted this recipe, it’s also been a reader favorite so I decided to make them again recently to give them a photo makeover.
I then realized that I forgot to add two ingredients to the recipe or maybe they were there originally, but when I switched from Blogger to WordPress, some of my recipes didn’t come over exactly and with over 1000 to comb through, I think I just missed the error.
Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes?
For this recipe, you’ll need fresh sweet potatoes (or yams), lime zest and juice, milk, butter, Kosher salt and shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese. I originally also used the Lime Frost Sea Salt, but regular salt works just as well as most of the lime flavor comes from the lime itself.
Start by placing the potatoes on a microwave safe dish lined with paper towels; then pierce the skins with a fork and cook on high for 7 minutes. Turn the potatoes over and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on how large your potatoes are.
You want them to be tender when you insert the tip of a sharp knife. You can also bake the potatoes in the oven, but that would take over an hour and I don’t have that kind of time during the week.
Carefully remove the potatoes from the microwave, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides into a medium sized bowl. They will be hot so I recommend holding them with a clean dish towel or paper towels. Save the skins and line them up on a baking sheet.
Next, add the lime zest and juice, milk, butter and salt and mash until smooth. You can use a potato hand masher or an electric mixer; which I prefer to get the potatoes extra creamy.
Fill the potato skins with the potato mixture and sprinkle the top with the cheese. Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
My family and I really liked these Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes and was glad I made them again after so many years. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes, skins washed
- 1 Lime, zest and juice zest and juice
- 1/4 c. Milk
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 c. Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place potatoes on a microwave safe dish lined with paper towels and pierce the skins with a fork. Microwave the potatoes on high for 7 minutes, then turn them over for an additional 5-8 minutes until the potato is soft when pierced with a sharp knife. (Cooking time will depend on the size of the potato).
- Carefully cut the potato in half, lengthwise, scoop out the insides and add to a bowl. Place the potato skins on a baking sheet or oven safe dish.
- Next, add the lime zest and juice, milk, butter and salt; then mash until smooth. (You can use a hand masher or an electric one, which I prefer to get them extra creamy.)
- Fill the potato skins with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle 1 tbsp. of the cheese on top; then bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
*Originally shared March 2012/Updated August 2018