Lean ground beef combined with mushrooms, onion, and garlic in a balsamic tomato sauce; then topped with a mixture of Ricotta, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and baked until golden brown.
Who doesn’t love a quick and easy casserole during the week? I certainly can appreciate them. The beauty is that you can prepare most of it the night before; then bake it when you get home from work while you’re decompressing from your day.
How do you make Beef Ricotta Casserole?
For the inside filling of this recipe, you’ll need lean ground beef, mushrooms, red onion, garlic, your favorite tomato sauce, and balsamic vinegar. I used 90/10 beef, but you could also substitute ground chicken or lean ground turkey.
Start by browning the ground beef in a skillet on top of the stove; then once brown, add the vegetables and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms start to soften.
Next, add the tomato sauce and vinegar and mix well and let simmer for about 5 minutes before adding to a 2qt. oven safe casserole dish.
Next, you need to combine the topping; which consists of Ricotta, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses mixed with fresh chopped oregano and rosemary. Once combined, place on top of the meat mixture; then bake at 375° F for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Easy right? You can even prepare this the night before; then bake when you’re ready to serve.
We loved this twist on the Irish classic and the flavor of this Beef Ricotta Casserole was incredible. This recipe is enough to serve 6 people and we ate ours with a tossed salad; though you could also cook up some of your favorite pasta or garlic bread to go with it as well. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Beef Ricotta Casserole
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 red onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 15 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat until brown and cooked through; then add the mushrooms, onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms start to soften.
- Add the tomato sauce and vinegar and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Add the mixture to a 2qt. oven safe casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the three cheeses, oregano and rosemary; mix well. Add the mixture on top of the meat mixture; then bake for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
What is your favorite weeknight casserole?
Shop Related Products