Easter Bunny Cake made with carrot cake and homemade cream cheese icing; then decorated with your favorite candy is a fun treat for the kids to help make this Easter.
Every year, for as long as I can remember, we have made a bunny cake for Easter. My mom always made it with either yellow or white cake mix topped with white frosting and coconut on top to make it look like a fluffy bunny.
My kids used to LOVE to decorate one every year, but no one really ate the actual cake it because we’re not huge coconut fans in this house.
So a few years ago I made a yellow cake with chocolate frosting and this year I opted for homemade carrot cake with homemade cream cheese icing. You can also use any store brand cake mix if you prefer.
Turns out, this was the best version for our family as carrot cake is just about everyone’s favorite (well in this house anyway!)
How do you make Easter Bunny Cake?
First you want to prepare the cake mix as instructed here in two 8″ round cake pans. Remove from the oven and the cake pans; then allow the cake to cool completely on a cooling rack.
This can be done the day before or at least several hours before you’re ready to decorate so the cake is cool and the icing doesn’t melt.
If making the cake ahead of time, make sure it’s completely cooled; then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to decorate.
Place one round cake on a flat board or serving platter. I like to use a large cutting board. With the second round cake, use a serrated knife to cut it into 3 pieces. You should get two ears and then middle will become the bow tie.
Frost the cake with the icing; then decorate using the jelly beans for the eyes and mouth and the licorice for the whiskers. ~Enjoy!
More Easter Recipes
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Carrot Cake Easter Bunny Cake
- 1 Prepared Carrot Cake (homemade or boxed)
Cream Cheese Icing
- Jelly Beans
- Black Licorice
- Gum Drops
For the Bunny Cake
- Prepare cake as directed and bake in two-8" round cake pans. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place one round cake on a flat board or serving platter. With the second round cake, cut out the 2 ears; the middle will become the bow tie.
- Ice the cake with the icing, then decorate using the jelly beans for the eyes and mouth and the licorice for the whiskers. (You can use other candy as well)
For the Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in a bowl. Next, add the vanilla, sugar and milk. Mix until well blended and creamy.
Connect with me on Social Media