Mushrooms stuffed with garlic & herb spreadable cheese; then breaded and baked until the cheese is oozing from the center.
I first made these many years ago after having something similar at a local restaurant and wanted to replicate it at home. Now, I’m not sure how they made theirs, but these tasted just like them and I’ve been making them for holidays ever since.
Last spring, I was speaking with my hairdresser and she asked if I had a quick and easy appetizer recipe that she could make and bring with her for Easter dinner. I suggested she try these stuffed mushrooms since she could make them the night before and leave them in the refrigerator until they were ready to be baked.
She did make them and said that they were a huge hit. In fact, she has even made them on several other occasions since the first time. They are really quite good and perfect in a pinch if you are having a last minute get-together.
Garlic and Herb Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and discard; then gently wash off the tops with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt; then fill each mushroom with the cheese until it is level with the top of the mushroom.
- Prepare three separate bowls. One for flour; in the second bowl whisk the eggs and water together; add the breadcrumbs in the last bowl.
- Dredge the mushroom first in flour, then in the egg wash and then in the breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Repeat for all mushrooms.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble.