Jumbo mushroom caps stuffed with sweet Italian sausage, Italian breadcrumbs and a combination of cream, Asiago and Pecorino Romano cheeses.
I know. You’re probably thinking, “Another mushroom recipe?”. What can I say, I just LOVE mushrooms, especially when they are stuffed with all kinds of goodness like these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms.
How do you make sausage stuffed mushrooms?
For this recipe you’ll need extra large stuffed mushrooms, marsala wine, EVOO, sweet Italian sausage, garlic, breadcrumbs, cream cheese, Asiago and Pecorino Romano cheeses.
These Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are my absolute favorite way to stuff mushrooms and we serve them at least twice a year during our holiday celebrations. ~Enjoy!
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 extra large white mushrooms
- 5 tbsp . extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp . Marsala wine
- 3 links sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 c . Italian or Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 oz . cream cheese
- 1/3 c . Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1/3 c . Asiago cheese PDO, shredded
- 2 1/2 tbsp . fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp . kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp . fresh ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, finely chop, and add to a bowl.
- Toss the chopped mushrooms stems with 3 tablespoons of oil and the Marsala wine. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in small pan over med-high heat, and add the sausage.Crumble sausage as it cooks into small pieces until it is cooked through and no longer pink, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Next, add the mushroom stems to the sausage and stir in the scallions and garlic.
- Add breadcrumbs and swirl in the cream cheese until mixture is creamy. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the Pecorino Romano and Asiago cheeses, parsley, salt, and pepper, fill each mushroom cap, and place on a baking sheet.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray and bake at 350°F for approximately 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.