Boneless chicken marinated in Greek yogurt, fresh basil and lemon juice, skewered with fresh garden vegetables; then grilled to perfection.
I first made this recipe for Lemon Yogurt & Basil Chicken Skewers back in 2011 and they were SO good that this recipe has made it into three separate published cookbooks: Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen (yours truly), The Greek Yogurt Cookbook (Lauren Kelly) and The Greek Yogurt Diet (Dr. Sonali Ruder).
I’ve made these a few times and have tweaked the recipe slightly so I decided to share it here on the blog as well.
The first time I made these Lemon Yogurt & Basil Grilled Chicken Skewers, I used a lemon flavored yogurt; however, every time I’ve made it since, I’ve used plain Greek yogurt and added in lemon zest and juice for the flavoring.
It is a bit more natural using these ingredients without losing the flavor.
How do you make Lemon Yogurt & Basil Chicken Skewers?
For this recipe you will need plain Greek yogurt, fresh basil, lemon, boneless chicken and fresh vegetables to add to the skewer. I used plum tomatoes, zucchini, onion and mushrooms, but you can add other vegetables like peppers and yellow squash.
You can use boneless chicken breasts or tenderloins; then cut them into pieces. Ten tenderloins make about 25-30 pieces. Add the cut pieces of chicken to a resealable plastic bag; then in a separate bowl combine the yogurt, lemon zest and juice and basil.
Add the mixture to the bag and massage it into the chicken so that all of the pieces are coated; then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
About 30 minutes before you are ready to grill, soak wooden skewers in warm water so they don’t burn when placed on the grill. Or you can use metal skewers.
Next, cut the vegetables into large pieces. Make sure they are large enough to allow for shrinking when cooked. If they are too small, they will fall off of the skewer while grilling.
Layer the chicken and vegetables on the skewer alternating pieces of chicken with the vegetables; then grill until the chicken is cooked through and white in the center; approximately 15-20 minutes.
We really love the flavor of these grilled Lemon Yogurt & Basil Chicken Skewers. With Memorial Day and Summer BBQ’s on the horizon, now is the perfect time to try this recipe as these are a great way to feed a crowd. ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
- 4- (4-ounce) boneless chicken breasts, large dice
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 cups large diced assorted raw vegetables (onions, mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, etc)
- 12 skewers
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the yogurt, basil, lemon zest and juice; mix well.
- Add the chicken to a large resealable bag; then add the yogurt mixture. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes prior to grilling so the wood doesn't burn on the grill or use metal skewers.
- Layer vegetables and chicken on the skewers; then grill until cooked through; approximately 15-20 minutes.