Portobello Sandwiches with Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil – Grilled portobello mushroom topped with fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil on top of crusty Italian bread; then drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar.
If you have 15 minutes, then you can make these deliciously simple Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches with Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil topped with aged Balsamic vinegar. Not only are these sandwiches incredibly flavorful, they satisfy any level of hunger as well. This sandwich is perfect for lunch or serve it for a quick weeknight dinner; especially if you’re looking for a meatless option on Monday’s or Friday’s during lent.
This recipe makes two sandwiches and can certainly be doubled (or more) to feed a crowd. Start off by purchasing portobello mushroom caps at your local grocer or farm stand. If you can’t find them without the stems prepackaged, purchase the whole ones and remove the stems. The ones I bought came in a package of two and since my youngest daughter isn’t a mushroom fan, it was just enough for the hubby and I.
Next, sprinkle a little extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper on top of the mushroom caps and broil for about 5 minutes until they start to sweat and get hot. I also prefer my bread a little crunchy so I threw the rolls in there as well on a lower shelf in the oven. Once the mushrooms are done, simply top them with fresh sliced mozzarella, plum tomatoes, fresh basil and drizzle with some aged balsamic vinegar. I like using aged balsamic best when you’re just adding it to something as a finishing touch.
It’s much thicker and sweeter than regular balsamic; however, you just need a small amount which is good because it’s also much more expensive than store bought balsamic vinegar. You can generally find aged balsamic vinegar in specialty shops or online; but for this recipe if you used regular balsamic vinegar it will be fine as there are so many other fabulous flavors going on in here.
This sandwich was PERFECTION! For a fun, party idea try making these Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches with Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil on slider rolls using the smaller Cremini mushroom instead; which will give you smaller portions to feed a crowd without losing the flavor! ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Portobello Sandwiches with Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil
- 2 Portobello Mushroom Caps, wiped clean
- 4 Slices Fresh Mozzarella, divided (about 2 oz.)
- 1 Plum Tomato, sliced
- 2 tbsp . Chopped Fresh Basil, divided
- 2-6 inch Crusty Italian Bread or Ciabatta, slice in half horizontally
- 1 tbsp . Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Aged Balsamic Vinegar, as desired
- Salt and Pepper, as desired
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Place the mushrooms cap side down on a baking sheet and drizzle the oil over both; then sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
- Broil the mushrooms for 5 minutes until they get hot and start to sweat; then remove from oven.
- Place one mushroom cap on the bottom piece of each piece of bread; then top with cheese, tomato, basil, and vinegar per sandwich.
Connect with me on Social Media