Red Velvet Sugar Cookies topped with a homemade Cream Cheese Frosting make a special treat for loved ones any time of year.
My husband has two favorite cakes: carrot and red velvet. So when I saw a recipe in a magazine for Red Velvet Cookies using Betty Crockers bagged sugar cookie mix, I figured I could recreate this one easily enough on my own.
And since it’s almost Valentines Day, I decided to make them heart shaped; then top them with his favorite frosting (cream cheese) as well. For this recipe, you’ll first need to purchase heart shaped cookie cutters if you want the cookies to be heart shaped. If not, then any other cookie cutter will do.
How do you make Red Velvet Sugar Cookies?
You’ll need butter, confectioners sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, egg, vanilla extract, sour cream, red food coloring, flour baking soda and cream of tartar.
Start by creaming the butter, sugar and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth; then add the egg, vanilla, sour cream and food coloring; mix well for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
Next, combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar in a small bowl; then gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. The dough will be sticky.
Remove the dough from the bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. While the dough is in the refrigerator, you can make the cream cheese frosting by combining butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract and confectioners sugar until smooth. If too thick, you can add a little milk to thin out the frosting.
These Red Velvet Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting make a special treat for loved ones any time of year. The cookies are soft and not overly sweet; which is what I love about a dessert.
If you are not going to eat the cookies right away, store them in an air tight container at room temperature. Once they are frosted with cream cheese, you must keep them in the refrigerator as the cream cheese will go bad if not refrigerated. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Red Velvet Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Red Velvet Cookies
- 1 c. Salted Butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 c. Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 c. Sour Cream (I used reduced fat)
- 1 tbsp. Red Food Coloring
- 2 1/2 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 3" Heart Shaped Cutout or other 3" cookie cutter
- Cooking Spray
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- (Optional) Red Sugar Crystals (or other holiday sprinkles)
Directions for the Red Velvet Cookies
- Cream together the butter, sugar and cocoa powder with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Next, add the egg, vanilla, sour cream and food coloring and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; then gradually beat into the wet mixture. (The dough will be sticky.)
- Remove the dough from the bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, then roll out the dough on a smooth, lightly floured surface until it is 1/4" thick. (I like to break the dough in half to work with smaller pieces.)
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper or a Silpat mat; then cut out the hearts with a 3" cookie cutter and place on the pan about 1-2" apart. (They won't spread, but will "puff" up.)
- Bake at 325 degrees F for dark coated pans or 350 degrees F for glass or aluminum pans for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with red sugar crystals or other holiday sprinkles (optional) while the frosting is still wet.
Directions for the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together all ingredients until smooth. If you like your frosting a little sweeter, add more sugar.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
*Originally shared February 2013/Updated January 2019