Italian sausage combined with the classic flavor combination of spinach and artichoke hearts in this delicious Sausage, Spinach & Artichoke Pasta Casserole.
Lately I’ve been in a casserole-type mood. I guess it’s because it is just so easy to throw something together all in one dish, bake it; then you have a complete meal that’s ready to eat.
It certainly makes it easier for those busy weeknights; especially when you can prepare it ahead of time; then bake it later. I love the flavor of spinach and artichokes so I combined those classic flavors and came up with this Sausage, Spinach & Artichoke Pasta Casserole.
By looking at the ingredients and instructions for this recipe, it may sound a bit confusing or time consuming, but in reality it’s really quite simple. You just have to multitask a bit to get the job done.
People often ask me how I can make several recipes at the same time and it’s all in knowing how long something will take to prepare or how long it will be in the oven so that you can work on something else. Timing is everything!
How do you make Sausage, Spinach & Artichoke Pasta Casserole?
For this recipe, you will be cooking the sausage in the oven, boiling the water and cooking the pasta and making the sauce all at the same time. Don’t worry, I’ll walk you through the steps.
STEP 1: All three tasks can be done in 20-25 minutes
Step 1A: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and add the sausage. Bake for 20-25 minutes until it’s cooked through; then remove from oven and slice into 1/2″ thick slices.
Step 1B: Fill a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add your pasta and allow to cook until al dente. Drain the water.
Step 1C: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute then whisk in the flour forming a roux. Add the milk and Pecorino Romano cheese and simmer until the sauce thickens.
STEP 2: Combine all ingredients
Step 2: Place the pasta back into the pot, add the sliced sausage, chopped artichokes, and sauce. Mix well then place in a casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
STEP 3: Bake and eat!
Step 3: Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. While this is cooking you can make any side dish you would like to serve with it or make a tossed salad; which is what I served with ours. Bon Appetit!
See, when you break it down it’s really quite easy to make and it was fantastic! My family really liked this Sausage, Spinach & Artichoke Pasta Casserole and ate it for days.
It also freezes well so store your leftovers in individual containers for another dinner or lunch during the week. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook the sausage in the oven on a foil lined baking sheet for approximately 20 minutes until it is cooked through. Remove from oven and slice in 1/2" thick slices. Lower oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
- While the pasta is cooking make the sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute; then whisk in the flour forming a roux. Add the milk and Pecorino Romano cheese cook until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add the cooked pasta back into the pot along with the cooked, sliced sausage, fresh spinach and artichoke hearts; then pour the sauce over the pasta and mix well. Place the mixture into a casserole dish; then top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly brown and bubbly on top.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
- Zucchini, Bacon & Rice Casserole from Roxana’s Home Baking
- Tex Mex Cowboy Casserole from Aunt Bee’s Recipes