Braised chicken thighs with Cremini mushrooms and fresh rosemary in a Frangelico, red wine cream sauce is a deliciously flavorful, quick weeknight meal.
Every now and then my experiments don’t come out as I had originally anticipate. However, I’m usually able to tweak the recipe so that it’s edible. This recipe for Braised Chicken with Cremini Mushrooms in a Frangelico Cream Sauce was one of them. My kitchen is no different than yours, trust me!
Let me start from the beginning. The reason for creating this dish to begin with was because as my brother in law was combing through his liquor cabinet and came across several bottles of Frangelico that given to him as gifts.
As much as he enjoys it, he would never drink that much so he asked me if I wanted to take a bottle home and make something with it. And me being me, I accepted of course. I just love a food challenge!
What is Frangelico?
For those of you unfamiliar with Frangelico, it is hazelnut flavored liquor. It’s sweet and not usually incorporated in savory recipes, but rather desserts. The challenge was on!
I started out with a concept of braising chicken thighs and making a reduction out of the Frangelico, but a couple of things happened along the way.
If you read this blog frequently, you will notice that I tend not to make a lot of dishes with cream sauces. I try to avoid ingredients known to be extremely high in fat since my last cholesterol is high.
I had purchased heavy cream for a dessert I needed to make and had some left over to use in this dish.Thankfully, it all came out perfect in the end.
My family loved this recipe for Braised Chicken with Cremini Mushrooms in a Frangelico Cream Sauce despite the craziness happening in the kitchen as I was trying to get this dinner ready. Of course, it was on a night where we had to be on a tight time schedule for sports practice pick ups. And, I just HAD to stop to take some pictures. Ahhh…the life of a food blogger. ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
Braised Chicken with Cremini Mushrooms in a Frangelico Cream Sauce
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot; then add the chicken thighs. Lightly brown the chicken on all sides, approximately 5-8 minutes; then remove and set aside. Cover with foil to keep warm. (You may have to do this in batches).
- Once all of the chicken has been removed from the pan, add the mushrooms and rosemary; saute until the mushrooms start to soften. .
- Next, add the flour and mix to form a roux; then add the Frangelico and red wine; mix well.
- Add the chicken broth and heavy cream; then mix all of the ingredients together until it forms a slightly thickened sauce.
- Add the chicken back to the pot and simmer on low for approximately 30 minutes to finish cooking off the chicken.