This healthier version with reduced fat of the classic stroganoff is made with boneless chicken breasts, mushrooms and reduced fat sour cream. Dinner is ready in 30 minutes!
A typical stroganoff first hailed from Russia in the late 1800's and is generally made with strips of beef cooked in a sauce with sour cream.
Since then, it has become a popular dish throughout the entire world and gained popularity in the US in the 1950's.
To me, this recipe always seemed to have a bad connotation associated with it since sour cream was one of the main ingredients used to prepare this dish.
I love the combined flavors so I decided to create my own healthier version at home using chicken, skim milk and reduced fat sour cream.
How do you make chicken stroganoff?
Start by heating oil and a little butter in a large, nonstick saute pan; then combine the flour and the chicken in a small bowl; mix well. Add the chicken to the heated oil mixture and cook through; approximately 5-8 minutes. Remove from the pan, cover and set aside.
Next, add the scallions and mushrooms to the pan and saute for 4-5 minutes until mushrooms start to soften; then stir in 1 tbsp. flour, add broth and milk and mix well. Finally, add the chicken back to the pan, cover and reduce the heat to low.
Simmer for 15 minutes; then add the sour cream and parsley. You can serve this stroganoff over rice or pasta or consume as is or if you're watching your carbs, serve over cauliflower rice.
This Chicken Stroganoff was a delicious alternative and as you can see by the ingredients, most of the items used are staples you probably already have in your kitchen. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
- 24 oz . Boneless Chicken Breast, cut in 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoon . All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon . Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon . Butter
- 2 Scallions, chopped
- 8 oz . Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon . All-Purpose Flour
- 1 c . Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ c . Skim Milk
- ¼ c . Reduced Fat Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon . Parsley, chopped
- Heat oil and butter in a large, nonstick saute pan.
- Combine the flour and the chicken in a small bowl; mix well.
- Add the chicken to the heated oil mixture and cook through; approximately 5-8 minutes. Remove from the pan, cover and set aside.
- Add the scallions and mushrooms to the pan and saute for 4-5 minutes until mushrooms start to soften.
- Stir in 1 tbsp. flour, then add broth and milk; mix well.
- Next, add the chicken back in, cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, then add in the sour cream and parsley. Serve over rice or pasta.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
*Originally shared November 2012/Updated January 2019