Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff made with beef cubes that are slowly simmered in a slow cooker with mushrooms, garlic, fresh herbs in a thick, red wine brown gravy.
I can’t believe that in the 2 1/2 years I’ve been blogging about my weekly food experiments, I’ve yet to make Beef Stroganoff! Chicken Stroganoff…yes, but beef..no. Like I’ve said before, I try to make things healthier for my family when I can, but every now and then we like to splurge on the good stuff! I love meals like this when the weather is getting cooler.
My preference is to cook this in a Dutch oven on top of the stove, but I haven’t used my slow cooker in a while and was going to be out most of the day and needed dinner ready for when I got home.
The beauty of this dish is that you can prepare the entire thing the night before, refrigerate it; then put it in the slow cooker in the morning before work. And…Voila! Dinner is ready when you get home.
How do you make Beef Stroganoff?
This recipe for beef stroganoff contains more ingredients than I usually share in my recipes, but they all go hand in hand to make this recipe simply amazing. You’ll need beef cubes, flour, oil, butter, mushrooms, garlic, scallions, beef broth, Dijon mustard, parsley, thyme, red wine and sour cream.
Start by heat some oil in a large skillet over medium heat, cut the meat into 1-inch cubes; then dredge the cubes in flour so that they are coated on all sides.
Brown the meat in the oil for 5-7 minutes on all sides; then place in your slow cooker. Next, melt the butter in the pan; then add the mushrooms, garlic and scallions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms start to sweat; then remove them from the pan and place in your slow cooker.
In the same pan, add a little flour to form a roux; then add your broth, mustard, parsley, thyme and wine. Bring to a boil until it’s slightly thickened; then add to your slow cooker.
Cook the beef stroganoff on Warm for 6-8 hours; on Low for 4-6 hours or on High for 2-3 hours; depending on how long you will be away from your slow cooker. After the meat has cooked and is tender, combine some of the flour with cold water and mix well so that there are no lumps.
Add the flour mixture to the beef mixture in the slow cooker as needed to thicken it up a bit. You may not need all of the flour mixture. I like to make extra sauce for the noodles or rice. Finally, stir in the sour cream just before serving. This Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff can be served over egg noodles or rice. DELICIOUS!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat.
- Cut the meat into 1"cubes; then dredge the cubes in 1/4 cup of the flour so that they are coated on all sides.
- Brown the meat in the oil for 5-7 minutes on all sides; then place in your slow cooker.
- Add the butter to the pan; then add the mushrooms, garlic and scallions. Saute 2 minutes until the mushrooms start to sweat. Remove from the pan and place in your slow cooker.
- Next, in the same pan, whisk in 1 tablespoon of the flour to form a roux; then add your broth, mustard, parsley, thyme and wine. Bring to a boil until it's slightly thickened and add to your slow cooker.
- Cook on warm 6-8 hours; low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours; depending on how long you will be away from your slow cooker.
- After the meat has cooked and is tender, combine the 1/4 cup of flour and cold water together and mix well so that there are no lumps. Add the flour mixture to the beef mixture as needed depending on how thick you like your gravy (I like to make extra sauce for the noodles or rice); then stir in the sour cream. Serve over noodles or rice.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
Shop Related Products
*This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using the links provided.