Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff made with beef cubes that are slowly simmered in a slow cooker with mushrooms, garlic, fresh herbs in a thick, red wine brown gravy.
I can’t believe that in the 2 1/2 years I’ve been blogging about my weekly food experiments, I’ve yet to make Beef Stroganoff! Chicken Stroganoff…yes, but beef..no. Like I’ve said before, I try to make things healthier for my family when I can, but every now and then we like to splurge on the good stuff! I love meals like this when the weather is getting cooler.Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff #beef #slowcooker #crockpot Click To Tweet
My preference is to cook this in a Dutch oven on top of the stove, but I haven’t used my slow cooker in a while and was going to be out most of the day and needed dinner ready for when I got home.
The beauty of this dish is that you can prepare the entire thing the night before, refrigerate it; then put it in the slow cooker in the morning before work. And…Voila! Dinner is ready when you get home.
I also wanted to point out that wine glass in the picture. Isn’t it adorable! My friend Jenn gave it to me last Christmas and had it custom made by A Beaded Whim. They’re handcrafted beaded and wired wine glasses, flutes and goblets and no two are exactly like.
She just moved and new orders are on a brief hiatus for the next month until she gets settled, but keep these in mind for the upcoming holiday season! ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Tender beef cubes slowly simmered in a slow cooker with mushrooms, garlic, fresh herbs in a thick, red wine brown gravy.
- 2 lb. Top Round of Beef or precut Beef Cubes
- 1/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 3 Portobello Mushroom Caps, approximately 3 cups halved and sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 3 1/2 c. Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 c. White Wine
- 1/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 c. Water
- 1/2 c. Sour Cream
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat.
Cut the meat into 1"cubes; then dredge the cubes in flour so that they are coated on all sides.
- Brown the meat in the oil for 5-7 minutes on all sides; then place in your slow cooker.
- Add the butter to the pan; then add the mushrooms, garlic and scallions. Saute 2 minutes until the mushrooms start to sweat. Remove from the pan and place in your slow cooker.
Next, in the same pan, whisk in your flour to form a roux; then add your broth, mustard, parsley, thyme and wine. Bring to a boil until it's slightly thickened and add to your slow cooker.
- Cook on warm 6-8 hours; low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours; depending on how long you will be away from your slow cooker.
- After the meat has cooked and is tender, combine the 1/4 cup of flour and cold water together and mix well so that there are no lumps. Add the flour mixture to the beef mixture as needed depending on how thick you like your gravy (I like to make extra sauce for the noodles or rice); then stir in the sour cream. Serve over noodles or rice.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media