Your family is going to love this crock pot stew made with pork & vegetables in a Hungarian sweet paprika and red wine gravy.
You all know my daughter is away at college and has been cooking for herself over the last few years. This year, I met a few of her friends and one of them had told me that she just got a crock pot and was looking for some new recipes to try.
I have a few recipes on my blog, but I generally only like chili and stews when using my slow cooker. I wanted to come up with a new, simple recipe that she could follow and made this Crock Pot Hungarian Pork Stew.
One of the main ingredients that gave this stew such a robust color comes from paprika; which is a spice made from the chili pepper family.
It's available in smoked, sweet and hot and is often associated with Hungarian cuisine. I don't like my food smokey or hot, so I went with the traditional sweet paprika.
Stew is one of those comfort foods that my family craves when the weather starts getting cooler. Because I added sweet potatoes to this version, I served ours with a tossed salad. But for those of you that love a good egg noodle under your stew, go ahead.
Either way your family is going to love this recipe. My family loved this Hungarian Pork Stew and you could also try using beef cubes or chicken in place of the pork to switch it up a bit. ~Enjoy!
Start by getting all of your ingredients together. You will need:
- boneless, center cut pork loin
- sweet potatoes
- all purpose flour
- extra virgin olive oil
- Hungarian sweet paprika
- beef stock
- red wine
How do you make Hungarian Stew in the crock pot?
Cut the pork loin into 2" cubes; then dredge them in all purpose flour. This will help thicken the gravy while cooking in the crock pot. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat and brown the pork on all sides.
Add the pork to your crock pot, along with the all of the remaining ingredients except for the sweet potatoes and mix well. Cook in your crock pot on low for 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours; adding the sweet potatoes in 1 hour before you're ready to serve.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
More Stew Recipes
- Madeira Beef Stew
- Chicken Sausage and White Bean Stew
- Italian Sausage Stew
- Beef Stew in a Red Wine Sauce
- Chourico & Spinach White Bean Stew
- Hearty Italian Beef Stew
- Florentine Chicken Stew
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Crock Pot Hungarian Pork Stew
- 2 pounds boneless, center cut pork loin, cut into 2-inch cubes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Dredge the pork cubes in flour until all pieces are coated and brown the meat in the pan; approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add the pork to your crock pot along with the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, paprika, beef stock and wine; mix well.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours; adding the sweet potatoes 1 hour before you're ready to serve.