Creamy Tuscan Chicken made with boneless chicken pan seared in a skillet tossed with fresh spinach and sun dried tomatoes in an alfredo sauce.
Every now and then I crave comfort foods; especially when it’s so cold outside. Unfortunately, that usually means that its also usually loaded with extra calories!
Once in a while is fine since we don’t eat this way often. Honestly, even though this Tuscan Chicken is in a cream sauce, it’s actually pretty light and not heavy like a typical alfredo sauce.
A few years ago I made The Cheesecake Factory’s version of Tuscan Chicken; which is grilled and topped with artichoke hearts and tomatoes. It’s actually one of the most popular recipes to date and super light and flavorful.
It was also on their Skinny-licious menu, but I wanted to make a new version for those that crave creamy sauces.
We eat chicken for dinner several times a week so I’m always looking to up my dinner game. This recipe only takes about 30 minutes to make and it’s made in one pan on top of the stove for less cleanup.
How do you make Creamy Tuscan Chicken?
For this recipe you’ll need boneless chicken breasts, EVOO, butter, all purpose flour, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, spinach, heavy cream, grated Pecorino Romano cheese and fresh basil.
Start by heating some oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook 3-5 minutes per side depending on thickness until it’s white in color.
You may have to do this in batches. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate. Once all of the chicken has been cooked, add the remaining butter, garlic, tomatoes and spinach.
Cook until the spinach wilts; then add the flour and stir forming a roux. Next, add the heavy cream, grated cheese and basil.
Cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens; then add the chicken back into the pan. Coat the chicken with the sauce, cook for another 5 minutes; then it’s ready to be served.
What type of boneless chicken can you use?
There are several options for the chicken; all of which you’ll need to use a meat mallet to pound the chicken flat into uniform pieces. This will allow the chicken to cook at the same rate.
I like to make smaller pieces so that it takes less time to cook. It’s also great when making a larger quantitiy to serve for a crowd.
- Whole boneless breast sliced horizontally into 1/4-inch thick pieces; then cut in half vertically to form smaller pieces
- Thin sliced boneless chicken breasts, but in half vertically to form smaller pieces
- Chicken tenderloins; which are approximately 2-ounces each
What are serving suggestions?
There’s something sopping up extra creamy sauce with noodles and rice; so I recommend something simple like egg noodles, risotto or plain rice. You can also serve with additional sautéed spinach or a tossed salad.
Can you Freeze?
You can store this chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer once cooked.
This Creamy Tuscan Chicken serves four people, was super flavorful, and easy to make. The best part was the cleanup!
My family said I can definitely make this recipe again; though they did like the Chicken in an Irish Whiskey Cream Sauce I shared last week a little bit better. 🙂 ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- 8- (2-ounce) pieces boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon butter; divided
- 1 cup diced sun dried tomatoes
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook 3-5 minutes per side depending on thickness until it's white in color. (You may have to do this in batches). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Once all of the chicken has been cooked, add the remaining butter, garlic, tomatoes and spinach.
- Cook until the spinach wilts; then add the flour and stir forming a roux. Next, add the heavy cream, grated cheese and basil.
- Cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens; then add the chicken back into the pan. Coat the chicken with the sauce, cook for another 5 minutes; then it's ready to be served.
Try these too!
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!