Fettuccine pasta tossed with mushrooms in a light pink grapefruit and fresh mint sauce is deliciously light and flavorful.
I normally don't follow a "Meatless Monday" format on a regular basis here on the blog, but every now and then we just crave pasta. I mean who doesn't right? And this recipe for Fettuccine with Pink Grapefruit and Mint was deliciously light and flavorful.
My family and I were fortunate to visit Rome, Italy a few summers ago and while we were there, we dined at a local restaurant where they served us Fettuccine with Lemon and Mint.
The meal was served in a lemon and was OUT OF THIS WORLD! Seriously, the lemons there are HUGE! Here is my then 10 year old with one over her head for reference.
Anyway, I wanted to try to make this dish myself; however, you can't find lemons that size here in the states so I opted to use grapefruit instead.
- Fettuccine Pasta
- Grapefruit: Pink is best as it's sweeter
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Mint
- All Purpose Flour
- Chicken (or vegetable) Stock
- Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
How do you make Fettuccine with Grapefruit and Mint?
To make this recipe first cook your fettuccine pasta until al dente. While the pasta is cooking, cut the top quarter off of the grapefruit and scoop out the insides; then add the inside pulp and juice to a blender and pulse.
Strain the liquid through a fine strainer reserving the juice to use in the recipe. Next, heat a little olive oil in a large saute pan and add the mushrooms.
Cook the mushrooms until softened; then add chopped fresh mint and some flour to thicken the sauce. Finally, add grapefruit juice, chicken or vegetable stock and cooked fettuccine and cheese.
This recipe for Fettuccine with Pink Grapefruit & Mint serves four people; however, if you want to serve some in the two grapefruit skins for presentation purposes, you can use the two grapefruits you already cut open. ~Enjoy!
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
More Fettuccine Pasta Recipes
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Chicken Scampi over Fettuccine
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo (Low Fat)
- Fettuccine with Sausage Puttanesca Sauce
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Fettuccine with Pink Grapefruit & Mint
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 2 whole pink grapefruit
- ½ cup pink grapefruit juice (from the fresh grapefruit)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil with a pinch of salt and cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain water; set aside.
- Cut approximately 1-inch off of the top of the grapefruit and scoop out the insides. Add the inside pulp to a blender and pulse. Strain through a fine strainer reserving the juice to use in the recipe.
- Next, heat the oil in a large saute pan; then add the mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the flour to form a roux; then add the grapefruit juice, chicken broth and mint.Mix well.
- Add your cooked pasta and the cheese to the skillet; then toss to coat and serve. You can add some of the pasta to the grapefruit shell for a nice presentation or serve in a pasta bowl family style.