Fettuccine pasta tossed with mushrooms in a light pink grapefruit and fresh mint sauce is deliciously light and flavorful.
I normally don’t follow a “Meatless Monday” format on a regular basis here on the blog, but every now and then we just crave pasta. I mean who doesn’t right? And this recipe for Fettuccine with Pink Grapefruit and Mint was deliciously light and flavorful.
My family and I were fortunate to visit Rome, Italy a few summers ago and while we were there, we dined at a local restaurant where they served us Fettuccine with Lemon and Mint.
The meal was served in a lemon and was OUT OF THIS WORLD! Seriously, the lemons there are HUGE!
Here is my then 10 year old with one over her head for reference.
Anyway, I wanted to try to make this dish myself; however, you can’t find lemons that size here in the states so I opted to use grapefruit instead.
How do you make Fettuccine with Grapefruit and Mint?
To make this recipe first cook your fettuccine pasta until al dente. While the pasta is cooking, cut the top quarter off of the grapefruit and scoop out the insides; then add the inside pulp and juice to a blender and pulse.
Cook the mushrooms until softened; then add chopped fresh mint and some flour to thicken the sauce. Finally, add grapefruit juice, chicken or vegetable stock and cooked fettuccine and cheese.
This recipe for Fettuccine with Pink Grapefruit & Mint serves four people; however, if you want to serve some in the two grapefruit skins for presentation purposes, you can use the two grapefruits you already cut open. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
- 1 lb. Fettuccine, cooked al dente
- 2 Pink Grapefruit
- 1/2 c. Fresh Pink Grapefruit Juice
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Mint, chopped
- 2 c. Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 c. Low Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 c. Pecorino Romano Cheese (or Parmesan), grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut the top 1/4 off of the grapefruit and scoop out the insides. Add the inside pulp to a blender and pulse. Strain through a fine strainer reserving the juice to use in the recipe.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan then add the mushrooms. Cook until softened.
- Stir in the mint and flour, then add in 1/2 c. grapefruit juice and chicken broth. Mix well.
- Add your cooked pasta and the cheese, then toss.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.