Fettuccine with Sausage Puttanesca Sauce made with sweet Italian sausage, Kalamata olives, capers, garlic, plum tomatoes and red wine.
This sausage puttanesca sauce has been on my “to make” list for quite some time, but I was waiting for the right moment. You see, my children never particularly cared for Kalamata olives or capers (or as they lovingly refer to them as “deer poop”
Yes I know, I have two comedians on my hands here), but I’ve been adding them into some of the foods I’ve been making little by little and they have eaten and liked them each time, just not on their own.
So when I met Joi, from the Joi of Pickles, at a recent craft fair and book signing event, I just had to try her Kalamata olives. These olives were so fresh and the best part, they were already pitted!
I figured I’d make a puttanesca sauce with them and also decided to add in some sausage since I had already taken it out of the freezer.
How do you make Fettuccine with Sausage Puttanesca Sauce?
To make this recipe, start by heating some oil in a large saute pan; then add the sausage. Break it apart using a wooden spoon and saute until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. In a medium saucepan, heat the some oil and add onion, garlic, tomatoes, olives and capers.
Saute until the onions start to turn translucent; then add in the wine, chicken broth, tomato paste and red pepper. Stir well, then add the cooked sausage and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
Next, boil a large pot of water and cook pasta according to package directions; then pour the thick sauce over the cooked fettuccine and toss; coating all of the pasta.
This Fettuccine with Sausage Puttanesca Sauce was INCREDIBLY flavorful with the pungent flavors of garlic and olives and the briny, lemon flavor from the capers. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
- 1 lb. Fettuccine
- 5 links Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 c. Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 Plum (Roma) Tomatoes, diced
- 1 c. Kalamata Olives, pitted and diced
- 2 tbsp. Capers
- 1/2 c. Dry Red Wine
- 1/2 c. Chicken Broth
- 1/4 c. Tomato Paste
- Fresh Ground Red Pepper, to taste
- In a saute pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil and add the sausage; then break apart using a wooden spoon. Saute until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. oil and add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, olives and capers. Saute until the onions start to turn translucent; then add the wine, chicken broth, tomato paste and red pepper. Stir well, then add the cooked sausage. Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes;
- Boil a large pot of water and cook pasta according to package directions; drain water.
- Pour the thick sauce over the cooked fettuccine and toss; coating all of the pasta.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Connect with me on Social Media
*Originally shared December 2012; Updated October 2018