When we were in Barcelona a few summers ago, we dined at a local restaurant near the water. The meal was incredible and afterwards, while the waitstaff was getting our coffee, they placed a dessert on the table for us to pick on called gató while we waited. It was a flourless lemon almond dessert that they cut into small squares and was delicious.
I had wanted to make it when we got home, but had forgotten about it until I came across a recipe that looked similar in a special edition of Bon Appetit Tastes of the World insert.
This Flourless Lemon Almond Torte was deliciously light and VERY easy to make. I also loved how it had a minimal number of ingredients. Five to be exact and I had everything I needed already in the house: almonds, lemon, eggs, sugar, and cinnamon. It’s also gluten free, which is an added bonus and I enjoyed mine with a cup of hot tea. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Flourless Lemon Almond Torte
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray 11" tart pan with cooking spray.
- Grind the almonds and 2 tbsp. sugar in a food processor. Set aside.
- Combine egg yolks, 2 tbsp. sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon in a large bowl; then beat with an electric mixture on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Next, fold in the almond mixture.
- In a separate bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; then gradually beat in the remaining 4 tbsp. sugar.
- Gradually fold the egg whites into the almond mixture; then transfer to your tart pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool before slicing.