Baby potatoes boiled until tender and tossed with olive oil, fresh rosemary and lemon; then smashed and roasted until golden brown.
Smashed potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes with they're crispy outside and soft inside. With the zesty combination of rosemary and lemon, these potatoes are sure to add a burst of flavor to any meal.
Plus, they're simple to make, making them a convenient option for busy weeknight dinners. This recipe serves four people, can be ready in under 1 hour and makes a delicious dairy and gluten free side dish.
To make these delicious potatoes you'll need the following ingredients:
Baby Potatoes: You can use any baby or new potato in this recipe. I happened to use golden potatoes.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Chopped Rosemary
Lemon: Use the zest and juice.
Preheat the Oven
Before you start making the Rosemary Lemon Smashed Potatoes, preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). This will ensure that your potatoes cook evenly and become crispy on the outside.
While the oven is preheating, you can start preparing the other ingredients and getting everything ready.
Boil the Potatoes
This is an important step as you can not smash the potatoes without boiling them first. Trust me. My husband made that mistake once!
Start by boiling a pot of water and adding a pinch of salt. Add the potatoes and cook them until they are fork-tender; which usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
You can test their tenderness by inserting a fork into the potatoes - if it goes in easily, they are ready. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them.
Prep the Ingredients
While the potatoes are cooking, take the time to prepare the oil mixture. Chop the rosemary leaves finely to release their aromatic flavor.
Zest the lemon using a microplane or a fine grater to get the bright and tangy zest. Make sure to only zest the outer yellow layer of the lemon, avoiding the bitter white pith underneath.
These two ingredients will add a burst of freshness and flavor to the smashed potatoes, elevating them from ordinary to extraordinary.
Add the lemon and rosemary to a small bowl along with the olive oil, salt and pepper; then mix well.
Mix the Ingredients
After boiling the potatoes until they are tender, it's important to drain them and let them cool slightly before proceeding with the recipe. This allows the potatoes to firm up slightly, making them easier to handle when smashing them.
Add the potatoes back to the pot along with the oil mixture; then toss to coat. Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; which will prevent them from sticking to the pan and make cleanup a breeze.
Smash the Potatoes
To smash the potatoes, use the bottom of a sturdy glass; then press down hard on each potato until it breaks the outer skin causing the potatoes to lay flat.
Cook the Potatoes
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
Due to the light, refreshing flavor of these Rosemary Lemon Smashed Potatoes, they would pair well with so many main entrees. Some of my favorites include Tuscan-Style Grilled Rib Eye Steak, Italian Breaded Pork Chops and Rosemary Lemon Spatchcock Chicken.
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
More Baby Potato Recipes
- Parmesan Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Chive Butter Smashed Potatoes
- Herb Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Sea Salt Smashed Potatoes
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Rosemary Lemon Smashed Potatoes
- Microplane (or fine grater)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Start by boiling a pot of water and adding a pinch of salt. Add the potatoes and cook them until they are fork-tender; which usually takes about 15-20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place them back into the pot.
- In a small bowl, add the rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Mix well; then add to the pot of potatoes tossing to coat.
- Next, place the potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using the bottom of a sturdy glass, press down hard on each potato until it breaks the outer skin causing the potatoes to lay flat.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown. Serve hot.