Whole grain linguine pasta combined with fresh mozzarella, grape tomatoes, basil and grilled chicken.
This recipe for Whole Grain Margherita Linguine with Grilled Chicken is a simple, quick dinner idea that tastes sensational!
What is Margherita?
The name ‘Margherita’ when referring to food was named after Queen Margherita of Italy in the late 1800’s to represent the colors of the Italian flag. Red is for tomatoes, white represents mozzarella cheese and green is for the fresh basil leaves.
This flavor combination has to be my all time favorite. I’ve made so many recipes using these three ingredients, I’ve lost count!
For this recipe, I used Ciliegine mozzarella; which means it’s small, cherry sized balls of fresh mozzarella; similar to how pasta’s have different nomenclature. I really liked this dish using the whole grain linguine as my kids refuse to eat whole wheat pasta because it’s brown, so I figured this was the next best thing.
Grilled chicken added some extra protein to this recipe, but if you don’t eat meat, you can omit it altogether or substitute your favorite shellfish. My family loves this recipe for Whole Grain Margherita Linguine with Grilled Chicken and it’s so easy to make. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Whole Grain Margherita Linguine with Grilled Chicken
- 1 lb. Whole Grain Linguine
- 8 oz. Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 pt. Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 7 oz. Ciliegine Fresh Mozzarella, halved (approximately 18)
- 1/4 c. Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 c. Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the water.
- While pasta is cooking, grill your chicken approximately 3-5 minutes until it is cooked through, then slice into 1/4" slices.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan and add the tomatoes, garlic and basil and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the sliced chicken, pasta, mozzarella, grated cheese, and pasta water and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Connect with me on Social Media