Well, it’s my first official foray into the #SundaySupperMovement and I’m kicking it off with my recipe for Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans as we celebrate “Beantastic” recipes this week.
When people think of making homemade baked beans, the general consensus is that they take hours to make; when in actuality you can make tasty beans right at home in a little over an hour. I first made this recipe this past summer and brought it to a family gathering. Everyone loved them! I never got around to posting the recipe, but with March Madness coming up, these Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans would be the perfect addition to your viewing party.
For this recipe I started off by rendering some bacon in my Dutch oven on top of the stove; then added onions, peppers and garlic. Next I added tomato paste, water, vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup and canned Navy beans; which I prefer using over the dry version so I don’t have to soak the beans overnight. I then allowed everything to simmer on top of the stove for about an hour until all of the flavors melded together, but if you want to put them in your slow cooker to cook over a slower period of time, that would work too. These beans were delicious. Seriously, I could have made a meal just on these beans alone. ~Enjoy!
- 9 Pieces Bacon, diced
- 1 c. Chopped Onion
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 6oz. Tomato Paste
- 2 c. Water
- 2 tbsp. White Vinegar
- 1 c. Light Brown Sugar
- 1 c. Maple Syrup
- 4 - 15(ounce) Cans Navy Beans, rinsed and drained
- Kosher Salt, as desired
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, as desired
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, render the bacon until it's cooked through and crispy; then add the onion, peppers and garlic and saute 3-5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Next, stir in the tomato paste, water, vinegar, sugar, maple syrup and beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover the pot and cook for 1-1½ hours; stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened.
What to see what the other Sunday Supper Tastemasters have created?
Check out these other Beantastic recipes!
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.