This Chicken and Rice with Zucchini made with leftover chicken, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; then combined with rice makes this a tasty one pot meal.
When I first posted this recipe back in May 2013 for Chicken and Rice with Zucchini, it was created from a cooking experiment gone wrong. Over two years later and this dish is one of my favorite one pot meals which is why I wanted to share it again; especially since I’ve had a ton of zucchini given to me lately. I’ve made a few changes this time around and I think it came out even better.
I originally made this recipe using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but this time I used precooked, leftover chicken breast from a roast. Since the chicken was already cooked, I sautéed my vegetables in a little oil until they softened; then added the cooked chicken. If you’re starting out with uncooked chicken, cook the chicken until it’s white in the center before adding your vegetables.
Next, add the chicken stock and rice and allow to simmer until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. The original recipe called for white wine, but this time I used chicken stock because I was out of wine. It gave the recipe a slightly different flavor, but my youngest wound up liking it better this way. You can use one or the other, or even use half wine and half chicken stock.
This Chicken and Rice with Zucchini is the perfect all-in-one, one-pot meal. It’s delicious, filling and can be ready in under an hour. If you’re in a hurry, use minute rice instead of Jasmine. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
- 3 c . Diced Cooked Chicken
- 1 tbsp . Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 in Medium Zucchini, skins washed and sliced 1/2" thick slices
- 2 Scallions, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 8 oz . Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 c . Chicken Stock
- 1/2 c . Jasmine Rice
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven and add zucchini, scallions, garlic and mushrooms. Saute until they start to soften; then add the chicken, thyme chicken stock and rice.
- Bring to a boil; then reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Connect with me on Social Media