This stuffing made with Portuguese chorizo and cornbread stuffing mix makes a tasty weeknight side dish or served with during Thanksgiving.
I love going back to some of the first recipes I posted here on the blog. Not only is it nostalgic, but I come across gems like this Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing. This stuffing is nothing fancy, but man is it tasty.
I've been hosting Thanksgiving almost ever year since 1995. Yes, I've had some years off where we went somewhere else. However, no matter how much work it is, there is nothing like the smells that come wafting from your kitchen on Thanksgiving day.
For our family, the ritual begins with watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade while preparing all of the favorite dishes that my family enjoys. Cooking sets a calming mood that helps get me through the rest of the harried holiday season.
The holidays are stressful for everyone and I have to say that the shopping part is much easier now that my kids are older. The caveat is that we have two kids with birthdays between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
It's always been a ticking to do list as there is only so much time between Thanksgiving and Christmas and not enough hours or days in the week.
This year, to throw more of a wrench in the works, I also:
- Volunteered to lead our cheerleading booster club; which hosts a cheerleading competition for approximately 1000 people the Saturday before Thanksgiving
- Our oldest daughter turns 21 so we're going to meet her at college (3 ½ hours away) to celebrate her first legal drink
- The "little one" is turning 16 and Sweet 16 party plans are underway for the beginning of December. This also includes me making all of the table centerpieces because the florist couldn't make what she wanted..I know..SUCKER!
- My husband and I are coordinating the making of 40 trays of lasagna to be donated to needy local families before the holidays for our Youth Ministry kids working towards their Confirmation (youngest daughter included).
Whew...I'm tired just typing this out! But I have to say that as busy as I am, I wouldn't change it for the world. In a few years, when the youngest goes to college, I'll probably be bored and miss all of this craziness.
Anyway, enough about my crazy life, let's get back to this Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing!
How do you make Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing?
To make this recipe you'll need cornbread stuffing mix, chorizo, garlic, onion, celery, thyme, and chicken broth. I like to use Portugese chorizo, but you can use the Spanish variety. Ever since I first had my father in law's family's stuffing years ago, I really like the flavor.
Season with salt and pepper; then mix well. Transfer the stuffing to an oven safe baking dish and bake at 350°F for approximately 25 minutes or until a light brown crust is formed.
That's it, easy right? This Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing serves 6-8 people and even freezes well if you have too many leftovers. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan; then add the chorizo, garlic, onion, celery, and thyme and saute for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the stuffing mix, chorizo mixture, and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Transfer to an oven-safe baking dish and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a light brown crust is formed.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Shop Related Products
Connect with me on Social Media
*Updated November 2017