Thanksgiving is over but think twice before sharing leftovers with our furry friends. Here are the Top 10 Tips for Feeding Pets Thanksgiving Leftovers.
Be Prepared When Your Pet Comes Begging
Your dog or cat will inevitably be begging to join in on Thanksgiving dinner. When polled, 56 percent of petMD readers admitted to sharing Thanksgiving table scraps with their pets. While this can be a great way to add protein and fresh veggies to your pet’s diet, there are also hidden dangers in holiday fare. This year, before you go preparing a heaping plateful for your pet, consider these ten tips to keep Thanksgiving a safe, healthful holiday for your dog or cat.
#10 Yes to Turkey
#9 No to Alliums
#8 Yes to Potatoes
#7 No to Grapes
Many people are unaware that grapes and raisins, can be toxic to pets. The fruit has been shown to cause kidney failure in dogs.
#6 Yes to Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Sauce is fine for pets but watch the amount of sugar in it. It is probably best to only provide a small helping to your pet’s plate.
#5 No to Xylitol
While you may be making the healthier choice by cooking with artificial sweeteners over the real thing, sweeteners containing Xylitol are poisonous to animals, and potentially deadly to dogs.
#4 Yes to Macaroni and Cheese
If you know your pet’s stomach handles dairy alright, macaroni and cheese is a safe leftover to share. If you are unsure though, it may be best to just give plain macaroni. Cats often develop lactose intolerance when they become adults.
#3 No to Chocolate
Chocolate is off limits for pets. During the holidays, however, baking chocolate is used in recipes and sometimes forgotten about by the time the dishes hit the table. Make sure this holiday season that your pet does not ingest any chocolate, especially the baking kind.
#2 Yes to Green Beans
Plain green beans are a wonderful treat for pets. Fresh vegetables are a great addition to any diet. If the green beans are included in a green bean casserole though, be conscious of the other ingredients in it.
#1 No to Alcohol
Alcohol is definitely a big no for pets. What we may consider a small amount can be toxic to a smaller animal. Also, keep in mind that alcohol poisoning can occur in pets from atypical items like fruit cake (the recipe may have called for rum or other liquor), as well as unbaked bread.
Connect with me on Social Media
*Updated November 2017